Options

Tire mounts

Hi folks, I have to mount my tire on my new to me 2016 tag. I'm thinking of the Yakima rack. If you have pictures of tire mounts, would you please share. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited December 2017

Hope the size is right. :s

I should have a rear picture that shows that it is mounted on a reverse L shape arm that is bolted to the frame corner under the trailer. It is not mounted or touching the trailer wall in any way.

If you want to go that way and want more pics, I could find some with a little search.

• Options
    TheresaATheresaA Member Posts: 24

Thank you Lucky. This looks great, easy to get at and low weight.

• Options

Your welcome

I was a bit concerne about the weight distribution, but the alloy wheel maide it not to bad and it is fairly close to the cg. So the TD remain stable on the road. This is a fairly big tire combo with the outback, so I imagine that a smaller wheel tire would be even lighter with reduce effect on the cg.

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

Mine has the factory mount under the trailer just in front of the wheels. (sorry no pic) It does reduce ground clearance a bit but this hasnt been an issue for us. We have more of a problem with the jack hitting the ground which I will be taking care of before next season.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Hi Theresa,
    Just a couple thoughts here. First, you might want to look under your trailer and see if there is a spare tire mount. I'd be surprised if there isn't. On the photo of LuckyJ's trailer you can see directly below the side door a silver square. That's the spare mount on recent T@Gs.
    If there isn't one, then you have some options. What NOT to do is put on a mount that requires drilling holes in the frame anywhere between the tongue and the axle. That's the quick way to frame cracks.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Good point William. I will not drill into the frame. There is a mount under their camper, but I would have a hard time getting to the tire, and it sits low. Thank you for the comment, because I do not want to make any mistakes. It might be that the easiest solution is to just buy a mount for the front of the trailer.

• Options
    edited December 2017

Yep, I do have the spare mount under the front portion of the frame, but I wanted a full size spare (in the case of the outback) a 235/75 r15) witch was to wide ( then to thick) and was reducing the ground clearance big time. Specialy since the TD would be used in bad forest service roads. And with the outback front full racking, no llace to install a tire support in that location.

As for the jack, I lifted it by making an other piece that I welded lower on the female part on the tube that is now flush with the bottom line of the frame, and still plenty of lift with the javk wheel.

As for drilling holes, for sure, I would not drill in parts of the frame that can be under stress, specialy in the front where a lot of load is very often present by overloading the a frame.

In my case, the frame is reinforced from front hitch all the way back with a 2"x2" square tubing. It will never flex or bend.

But what is important here is that you find the best location for you. So the more ideas you get, the better choice you can do for your self. :)

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

Side thought. Make sure you have the tools to break the wheel nuts on your trailer wheels. The torque is beyond the norm.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

I'm hoping that the tools I use on my car will work on the camper. Note to self, get spare nuts.

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

The torque on a trailer lug nut is generally higher than that of an automobile. The trailer range for a 15inch wheel is generally 90 to 120 ftlbs. Getting that lug off a trailer with an automobile wrench can sometimes require Popye muscles. I have a torque wrench I keep under the bed along with a can of spinach.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

LOL. Good thing I like spinach, and I have triple A for breakdowns. I haven't needed it in all the years I've been paying, so they owe me the loosening of lug nuts.

• Options

The T@G now has its own tir wrench. Waiting in its basement. Did not want to worry between TV, since I use two different ones. And yes, the first time I tried, was a big surprised. Now they are like all my vehicules and other trailers, torked at 100 pds.

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

@LuckyJ said:
    The T@G now has its own tir wrench. Waiting in its basement. Did not want to worry between TV, since I use two different ones. And yes, the first time I tried, was a big surprised. Now they are like all my vehicules and other trailers, torked at 100 pds.

Check that the jack you have will work with the T@G as well.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options

@BBsGarage said:

@LuckyJ said:

Check that the jack you have will work with the T@G as well.

Lol, almost came back to edit my post to mentioned that I tedyes both of the car jacks and they will work just fine.

But yep, you want to make sure about that as well. And I not starting the debate of where is is suppose to be place to lift the trailer. That can escalade to quickly. ;)

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

Never place the jack under the axle and you will be fine!

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

@Michigan_Mike said:
    Never place the jack under the axle and you will be fine!

Roger that. What Mike said. My Jeep jack works well by placing it under the axle mount between the two mounting bolts. It'd have to be about 3 feet tall to reach the frame.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.