nuCamp sanctioned T@G roof rack

I’m debating again about a roof rack for my 2015 T@G max. Primary use would be for an ARB awning. I don’t see one in the new store and T@G versions aren’t in TearDropShop anymore. I see the boondock package has a roof rack. Is it possible to buy that as an upgrade somewhere?

Any general comments on a roof rack with awning vs just using a freestanding tent awning?

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 139
    edited December 2017

Call Elsie in Parts at nüCamp. She’s a wonderful lady to get to know.

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I've been spending the past few months collecting data on roof racks and fuel mileage and have come up with some rather astounding results. I've got a roof rack on my TV and one on my trailer. I won't go into the details but can report that any roof rack has a large effect on mileage. That said, I'm removing the rack from my TV along with the roof basket on my T@G but will keep the roof crossbars on the T@G so I can retain my awning. The advantages of having a quick-set awning on the trailer still outweigh the mileage disadvantages. With the awning attached, I can (and have) deploy the side awning at a rest stop. It's pretty fast. I'd never try that with my freestanding canopy.

I have a stand-alone 10x10 canopy that I put up over the kitchen area when camping and a 6x6 awning mounted on the T@G for staying dry when getting in and out in wet weather. In my mind, both are pretty much essential for getting by when the weather works against me. The downside to either is wind. Neither likes much wind and when it's blowing, I take them down. The side mount awning is fast and easy to deploy and is a bit more robust so far as gusty conditions. The free-standing canopy is a piece of crap and has been wadded up and repaired numerous times due to wind. Such is life. I buy the cheapo freestanding canopy for about $60 bucks and when it becomes un-fixable, I'll just get another.

Yakima makes the roof rack system on my T@G and the work of putting one on is pretty straightforward. I didn't mount mine as it came with the trailer, but I've put others on different applications in the past and it's not rocket science.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Administrator Posts: 517
    edited December 2017

@TennTim said:

>

Any general comments on a roof rack with awning vs just using a freestanding tent awning?

I've had 4 teardrop trailers and stayed away from anything permanently installed or bolted to the trailer frame or skin. My recommendation would be to look at the Paha Que' Cottonwood XLT 10 x 10 canopy for overall use, durability, shade and performance. IMHO this canopy does it all and to top it off you can use it for home use, parties, events, providing shade on a deck, family outing in the backyard, at your friends house, etc.

Paha Que' Wilderness did their homework on this canopy too as it comes with two permanently sewn in windwalls that are secured on opposite sides and can be either used to extend the usable space beneath this well made canopy or the walls can be secured outward and in place to provide additional shade or protection from wind and rain. I used one of the walls for a rain fly (as shown in the photo below) and this allowed me additional comfort should it ever rain, while also allowing protection from the elements when exiting the trailer. I also purchased two extra wind walls and this allows for complete privacy inside the canopy and warmth as needed.

For me personally this purchase was very worthwhile as the product is very well made, consists of 150D polyester Oxford material and has a sun screen rating of 50+ and has heavy duty waterproofing and UV coatings applied. I love the Cottonwood XLT as the material is much heavier than the Kelty canopy and is relatively easy to assemble and take down. I've set the canopy up in high wind and have been able to control all aspects of the set-up.

I use one end as a rain fly and also use the opposite end for added shade and a spot for a picnic table at my campsites as needed. I'll never sell it and it has always been a mainstay for me on trips out west and across the US. Great product and works well with teardrop style trailers!

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• MejaneMejane Member Posts: 5

Do you think the canopy can be set up by just one person?

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 139

@Mejane I set up the PahaQue Cottonwood by myself for 3 years. I used my Silver Shadow as a third hand. Drape the fabric over your T@G, slide the poles into their sleeves, watching so you miss wacking the roof vent. Then attach each leg, one at a time. Move the canopy leg by leg to where you want it, peg the legs and enjoy the shade and shelter.

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@WilliamA said:
    I've been spending the past few months collecting data on roof racks and fuel mileage and have come up with some rather astounding results. I've got a roof rack on my TV and one on my trailer. I won't go into the details but can report that any roof rack has a large effect on mileage. That said, I'm removing the rack from my TV along with the roof basket on my T@G but will keep the roof crossbars on the T@G so I can retain my awning. The advantages of having a quick-set awning on the trailer still outweigh the mileage disadvantages. With the awning attached, I can (and have) deploy the side awning at a rest stop. It's pretty fast. I'd never try that with my freestanding canopy.

I have a stand-alone 10x10 canopy that I put up over the kitchen area when camping and a 6x6 awning mounted on the T@G for staying dry when getting in and out in wet weather. In my mind, both are pretty much essential for getting by when the weather works against me. The downside to either is wind. Neither likes much wind and when it's blowing, I take them down. The side mount awning is fast and easy to deploy and is a bit more robust so far as gusty conditions. The free-standing canopy is a piece of crap and has been wadded up and repaired numerous times due to wind. Such is life. I buy the cheapo freestanding canopy for about $60 bucks and when it becomes un-fixable, I'll just get another.

Yakima makes the roof rack system on my T@G and the work of putting one on is pretty straightforward. I didn't mount mine as it came with the trailer, but I've put others on different applications in the past and it's not rocket science.

WilliamA

Sorry to hack a post, but @WilliamA , want is that bracket on your fender?

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I think you are seeing the side marker light, for required on 6 wide trailers.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@WilliamA could be indeed, do not have it on our regular width outback.

• gadgetgurl9143gadgetgurl9143 Member Posts: 1

Do you have part numbers for the crossbars and the 6x6 awnings and where you got them from?