Microwave removal

Hi-there was a post from 2018 about removing the microwave from TAG, but no info on how this is done. I have the TAG 2021 XL, anyone have any info on how to get the microwave out? I’d rather have a convection/toaster oven. Thanks!

Comments

• zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 205

Yes, I just did this in my 2021. It's super easy. There are a few steps, perhaps a personal message or a phone call?

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• MisterbeeMisterbee Member Posts: 23

Oh, I would like to do the same thing. Would you mind posting the steps here?

I'll do my best to describe the steps:
    1. There are 4 screws in the perimeter face plate of the Microwave, remove theses.
    2. CAREFULLY wiggle and slide the microwave out of the opening.
    3. Try to pay attention to how it's sliding out, you want the rear to remain level or slightly above level while pulling it out.
    4. Once out, you will see that it is plugged into a regular outlet on the back wall, just unplug.
    5. The real reason to be a bit cautious when pulling it out is that there is a metal heat shield and some foam tape below the microwave when it's in its hole. It you were careful, this will all remain basically undisturbed/undamaged while you were removing the unit.
    6. Set aside the microwave, and then you can remove the four screws that hold the heat deflector in place.
    7. On the back wall of this space, right next to the electrical outlet is the copper propane line coming from under the camper up to the stove burners.
    8. You'll be left with a nice space with a bottom in that cabinet opening.

There also another 3 to 4 inches of space under that cabinet bottom that I chose to gain access to.
    If you look at the adjacent compartments to the left and right of the microwave you will find the screws that go horizontally through the microwave compartment walls and into the "floor" of the microwave compartment. You can remove them, and then remove the plywood compartment floor.

If you purchase the "microwave delete" cabinet from NuCamp, which I did......you'll get a nice complete box with 2 cabinet doors on the front. I removed the bottom of this new cabinet prior to installling so that I'd keep the new found space that we found above that was under the microwave compartment floor.

It really is quite easy and self explanatory if you look closely at how it's built. It is logical. If done with care, you'll be able to put it all back together easily if you chose to reinstall the microwave.

• Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148

I’d rather have the cabinet space—-I have never used the microwave.

• theashleyoetheashleyoe Member Posts: 17

THAAAAAANK you! We were so scared we were gonna pull it out and find it hardwired or something.

Ashley and John and two idiot dogs
    Boise, Idaho
    2020 T@G XL
    2017 Dodge Durango

• rchawlarchawla Member Posts: 7

This is great, thank you. Do you have to order the cabinet kit directly from nuCamp or through a dealer? Any intel on how much it is?

edited May 2021

I tried direct, and was told that it had to be through a dealer.....a bit of a shift in how NuCamp used to do things. As I recall, mine was about $300+/-, I can't locate my receipt at the moment.

EDIT. Be advised that it is a complete box with two doors on the front....this slips into the opening vacated by the microwave and is consequently smaller than the available space left behind by the removal. I don't particularly care for how the door fronts don't match the sink door size wise, but it is what it is.

• Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148

Dealer only and price will very greatly.

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2021

I removed my microwave immediately after I got my XL and made a giant drawer for the space, then added the NuCamp door kit. It's the most coveted real estate in my trailer and serves as my pantry. I also made a cutting board to put on top of the open drawer and used it until I added my counter extension. Nothing like real estate in the kitchen...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• theashleyoetheashleyoe Member Posts: 17

@WilliamA

This is brilliant. I was gonna construct just a box to insert, but this is brilliant. Thank you!

Ashley and John and two idiot dogs
    Boise, Idaho
    2020 T@G XL
    2017 Dodge Durango

• EVJunkieEVJunkie Member Posts: 1

Thanks for the info. Was doing some bench testing with my convection oven and these instructions made the removal a piece of cake!

• mirasolamirasola Member Posts: 13

This thread was super helpful - zgfiredude's instructions were spot on, and it was really simple. Thought I'd share a few images of what the space looks like for anyone curious. I left the bottom in because I think we're planning on doing a drawer instead of a cabinet, but there is a decent amount of space under there.

One word of caution: the sheet metal on the microwave faceplate is sharp!

2021 T@G XL Boondock
    2017 Honda Pilot EX-L

• mrchadjmrchadj Member Posts: 4

Does anyone happen to have the dimensions handy for the cabinet created by removing the microwave?