Options

Platform lid hinge fix

tdsingletreetdsingletree Member Posts: 8
edited April 2021 in Tips & Tricks

One piece of my bed platform is warped and has caused two of the hinges to strip out of their holes (see pic). I'm considering replacing factory hinges with a single piano hinge. Has anyone else tried this or come upon this issue with a different fix?

2021 Boondock 5w
2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn Hemi

Comments

• Options
    zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 207

I just did this very thing. I got a stainless steel piano hinge from Boat Outfitters online. Get one with wide screw hole spacing so that it will 'overlap' the underneath bracing without interference. I also through-bolted mine.

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/3-wide-stainless-steel-piano-hinge

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271
    edited April 2021

Some of us have used two or three door hinges. Heavier etc. One wing of each hinge across and screwed to both sides bed platform. Look around here at others.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options
    BRaulstonBRaulston Member Posts: 7

Yep, the screws have already come out of the boards on my TAG, camped in it two nights so far! Nucamp needs to upgrade this for sure.

• Options
    jeepers29jeepers29 Member Posts: 7

I went with a piano hinge and has held for several years. Our 2015 came with just a strip of plastic that had a groove on each side that straddled the flooring. It lasted one trip. LOL

• Options
    rasras Member Posts: 175
    edited May 2021

Copied this idea from someone on this forum, maybe William A. Shaped the bracket from aluminum. Drilled a hole for hinge pin, then bent it and drilled holes for two small screws. Installed two, each a third of the way down the center line. Not only holds the two boards together, it anchors the plywood in place which came in handy when I installed gas struts to hold the mattresses up while accessing underbed storage.

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@ras , just be carfull not to put to much stress on those side screws. Unless it was change, that vertical piece of wood is plywood standing on it's side. There is no strenght in veneer like that.

But maybe that board was change for a full piece of wood.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2021

LuckyJ,

You're right. There's not much meat in that vertical board. I drilled mine deep (2") and then injected glue into the hole. It's been holding without issue for three years now, and I beat on my toys. For normal folks, it should last about 200 years....

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    edited May 2021

@LuckyJ said:
    @ras , just be carfull not to put to much stress on those side screws. Unless it was change, that vertical piece of wood is plywood standing on it's side. There is no strenght in veneer like that.

But maybe that board was change for a full piece of wood.

The original divider on our 2016 T@G is a 1 by 4. The two halves have been opened and closed dozens of times and have 80 lb struts applying some pressure on them. The bottom of the struts are fastened into 1 by 4's that I added as additional dividers. I don't think there's a problem.

RV 2016 T@G 5W

• Options
    edited May 2021

@ras , all good then. This is not how ours was built and I did not wanted to reduce space. So this is also why I do not want the strutz modification. We simply use a piece of wood when we have to get in the basement. 😊

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Suggest as one of the experts has demonstrated here, and I have, use through bolts and washers on the hinge wings. I am also experimenting not screwing to the vertical upright.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options

@GigHarborTom said:
    I am also experimenting not screwing to the vertical upright.

We are not bolted or screwed to the central divider board and it works great, vut we do not have the strutz. Not sure it would work with them.

• Options

@LuckyJ said:

@GigHarborTom said:
    I am also experimenting not screwing to the vertical upright.

We are not bolted or screwed to the central divider board and it works great, vut we do not have the strutz. Not sure it would work with them.

They won't. They'll push the platform up and away. That's why we screwed it down.

RV 2016 T@G 5W