Options

2020 Boondock XL no more Yeti, Alpicool C40

Finally joined the ranks with an Alpicool mod, no more Yeti. I was very curious why so many are opting for the Alpicool C30, the C40 has the same footprint and is only a few inches taller 16.5 compared to 13.8 It holds 40L(42Qt) compared to 30L(32Qt). More is better, right? After much measuring and a month of planning I pulled the trigger. I had a metal shop I use for work make me a 1/8 steel tray and cut me a piece to use as a face. I drilled and tapped the sides to mount the slides, welded on the face, then painted it a 'black stainless steel' colour.
I won't lie it is a tight fit, I had to remove the handles from the Alpicool, but it fits, quite nicely too. Have to say it turned out a lot better looking than I expected. Ok so a shop cut the plates and did the bends, but who has the tools to make precise bends in 1/8 steel just sitting at home? I did the rest though, including the measuring, and I must be good at that part because it actually fits as planned, in the past I have had many measuring fails....that's all I will admit to. Took me all of a couple hours in total, most of that time spent putting tools away and setting up the welder(hadn't used it in over a year, needed to practice)
And now for the pics....

Toronto, Ontario Canada
2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

Comments

• Options
    packetjunkiepacketjunkie Member Posts: 72

Looks great! I just posted about my own work on a '21, your work is much cleaner than mine - although I can't fit mine sideways like you did.

• Options
    DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

@packetjunkie the '21 changes to the galley are much nicer with the frigde sideways, more storage, better cooktop, better sink and faucet. Plus sideways you get to keep the handles on, so its much more convenient if you want to remove it from the trailer and use it for daytrips in the car or truck. In fairness mine already had a wooden tray for the Yeti and the slides, so I had less to figure out, the bulk of the hard stuff was already sorted, I just had to adapt it to my vision. Yours looks pretty sweet as well. So many good ideas in this forum, and the beauty is seeing how people adapt/improve on those ideas.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL