Window material

LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Not sure if this is the right section to ask, but anyway, here it is.

The window material is made of some type of plastic, either lexan or plexiglass or acrylic or.......

Anyway, I am a bit worry that it will lose its clarity in a few years. I am wondering if the owners of the privious model have seen a deterioration in the clarity of window over time. Should I protect them any time we are not camping to make them last or do I worry for nothing. I really enjoy the moon roof, and would be very sad to lose it over the years.

Waiting for comments or advices.

Thank you.

Comments

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Administrator Posts: 517

I'm told that the windows are acrylic which is basically Plexiglas.

Another user suggested this:

I've used Meguire's Mirror Glaze with great success on the windows. I used #17 and #10, ones is a cleaner and the second a polish. Took out the fine swirls and greatly reduced a rock scratch to barely noticeable. Used it for years on the back plastic window of a Miata, window looked new when I sold it ten years later. Great stuff.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Ok, thank Mike. One way or the other, I will have to live with it and repair when I get there.

Good day! :)

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

Plexus is another cleaner that some of the "older" T@B owners are using...

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• michelevaneykenmichelevaneyken Member Posts: 9

I also have a window question. Some folks at this year's UCamp shared that they have bought a SmartShield reflective insulation roll (Amazon listing shown) and cut it to size to keep the sun out of the front of the T@G while driving. Now I have bought a roll and the instructions say, "Class A and C vehicles ONLY. This product is NOT TO BE INSTALLED BEHIND PLEXIGLASS..." Well, you-all have just confirmed that the T@G stargazer window is indeed plexiglass. Velcro-ing a panel of this stuff to the window frame will keep out the sun, but I see that it could also trap heat between the reflective insulation and the window, as there would be a gap of about three inches. Is this a bad idea? Any alternatives? Thanks for ideas,

michele and @archy
    2016 T@G XL
    2018 Subaru Outback

mvaneyken@davis
    2016 T@G XL (@rchy)
    2018 Subaru Outback

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited July 2021

@michelevaneyken this pruduct could be interesting, but I would defenetly not place it inside the window. Even with 3 inch clearance. Think of glass house effect.

With the reflective side, it will only concentrate heat between the window pane and the surface of the thermo foil.

If you can find a way to install it outside, I woukd then say go for it. Just using tge window shade witch is plane white produce a very worm space.

• michelevaneykenmichelevaneyken Member Posts: 9

Hmmmm. The package directions also caution that the material is for "interior "installations" only. Another T@G owner told me it's not a good idea to have the window shade down while driving, as it jiggles so much it could get damaged. I think maybe this is a mod that won't happen. Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

mvaneyken@davis
    2016 T@G XL (@rchy)
    2018 Subaru Outback

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 622

I used Reflectix in our TaB on all 3 windows. Drove to Asseteague in July. Arrived blistering hot. The inside was ambient temp. There is limited insulation in the nuCamp roofs, so they are essentially a heat sink. Using a canopy to cover the roof (if you don’t have installed solar) will do more than covering the windows. Maybe using Aluminet on the roof would be better.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator