Options

Best battery for 2021 Tag xl boondocks.

I don't have the trailer yet. πŸ˜… However I'm already thinking of what upgrades I'll be doing.

Those of you who have upgraded your batteries which brands do you find work well. I've heard good things about U.S. Batteries. (Yes I know I could just do a forum search for this topic)

I'm planning to upgrade the battery on a 2021 t@g XL boondock. My thoughts in mind were to remove the single 12v and add two 6v batteries in series of at least 200ah each maybe more. Overkill? I'm pretty sure I'll need to make room in the box or relocate the LP to one of the sides.
Although I don't know how much time I'll be camping without shore power I just like the Peace of mind of not running out of battery power.
TIA

2021 NuCamp T@G XL Boondock 🎣

2012 Kia SportageπŸš™

Comments

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I'll tell you first that I'm in the minority here when it comes to battery power. I used the stock group 24 battery that came in my trailer for two years before replacing it for a group 27. I've never had an issue with running low on power. I don't have solar power. I charge my battery with my tow vehicle while on the road. Works fine.

Perhaps the best option is to try what you have first and see if you need more power?

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    royh210royh210 Member Posts: 22

You're probably right. Getting ahead of myself I should wait and see how things go on our first couple of outings.

2012 Kia SportageπŸš™

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

I did upgrade my battery upon purchase. The trailer came with a 65Ah marine battery. I purchased a Trojan 100Ah deep cycle.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    royh210royh210 Member Posts: 22

@HikinMike I may see what the dealer has as another battery option, probably will be way more $$$. I could just purchase elsewhere for less $$.

2012 Kia SportageπŸš™

• Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

my advice is to just enjoy the thing, run the battery until it fails, than switch to a decent 100ah AGM https://www.renogy.com/deep-cycle-agm-battery-12-volt-100ah/?gclid=CjwKCAjw-e2EBhAhEiwAJI5jg0CM7axyuc3KWRrlcoh7re0YP1qQSmYr6LYgs7peEBeKhGXCD_KFBxoChskQAvD_BwE AGM a big upgrade over the standard lead acid, doesn't suffer from trickle discharge at anuthing like the same rate as the LA, way cheaper then lithium

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I assume your new trailer does not have an electric refrigerator. So that means your main draws will be the overhead fan, audio system, water pump, lights and usb charging ports. The overhead fan, especially on high would be the largest draw.
    I would stay with stock battery for a few years. That and a solar suitcase would likely provide all of your power needs.
    For peace of mind, I recently upgraded to a 100 amp hour Renogy smart lithium iron phosphate battery.
    The majority of my camping is off grid.
    I have the stock Norcold refrigerator that came with my 2018 T@G and I am very happy that I have it. I find it more useful than just a Yeti style cooler. I still take a cooler on trips, but do not worry about running out of cold beverages or food getting spoiled.

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

My stock battery was a hybrid battery (marine and car starting). It didn't do either very well so I joined the two 6v club. If you like to use electricity (fan running, fridge, and TV on for 1/2 hrs to watch news) i really recommend the two 6v route. Between that and my 200w solar set up, I can readily boondocks for a week.

β€œI'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options
    bowmanbowman Member Posts: 8

@JamesDow said:
    I assume your new trailer does not have an electric refrigerator. So that means your main draws will be the overhead fan, audio system, water pump, lights and usb charging ports. The overhead fan, especially on high would be the largest draw.
    I would stay with stock battery for a few years. That and a solar suitcase would likely provide all of your power needs.
    For peace of mind, I recently upgraded to a 100 amp hour Renogy smart lithium iron phosphate battery.
    The majority of my camping is off grid.
    I have the stock Norcold refrigerator that came with my 2018 T@G and I am very happy that I have it. I find it more useful than just a Yeti style cooler. I still take a cooler on trips, but do not worry about running out of cold beverages or food getting spoiled.

Glad to hear this. Our TAG XL Boondock came with an Interstate HD24-DP, and with us only using the aforementioned items you listed, and it also having solar panels and us only taking weekend trips here and there, was wondering if we were going to need an upgrade right away. Sounds like we should just run this one down - any ideas on how long these things last?

Kinderhook Lake - NY
    2021 T@G XL Boondock

• Options
    jahorslejahorsle Member Posts: 35
    edited May 2021

Our '21 XL Boondock came with the standard group 24 Interstate (82Ah), and we have yet to put ourselves in danger of low voltage while out boondocking, with the factory solar recharging it daily. I installed a Victron SmartShunt, which gives WAY more info than the stock solar controller. Our main draws are the Alpicool C30 fridge, lighting, water pump, and fantastic fan. I have the Smartshunt set up to show 100% of the 50% available with the lead acid battery. We have never used more than 40% of the available power, even in temps of 90+ with the gallery hatch open, and the fridge set to run at MAX power. Once the sun hits the factory panel, the battery is topped up within 2-3 hours in the morning. I have yet to feel the need to upgrade the battery. I also have a Wen 56203i generator, if needed. I have only used it to run the AC or microwave. We will be doing a 2-week trip to Yellowstone next summer, and that will be the ultimate test.

Definitely test your usage before spending money on upgrades!

Johnny and Chelsea
    Deming, NM
    RV: 2021 T@G XL Boondock
    TV: 2017 GMC Canyon SLT (2.8 Duramax)

• Options
    packetjunkiepacketjunkie Member Posts: 72

@jahorsle said:
    Our '21 XL Boondock came with the standard group 24 Interstate (82Ah), and we have yet to put ourselves in danger of low voltage while out boondocking, with the factory solar recharging it daily. I installed a Victron SmartShunt, which gives WAY more info than the stock solar controller. Our main draws are the Alpicool C30 fridge, lighting, water pump, and fantastic fan. I have the Smartshunt set up to show 100% of the 50% available with the lead acid battery. We have never used more than 40% of the available power, even in temps of 90+ with the gallery hatch open, and the fridge set to run at MAX power. Once the sun hits the factory panel, the battery is topped up within 2-3 hours in the morning. I have yet to feel the need to upgrade the battery. I also have a Wen 56203i generator, if needed. I have only used it to run the AC or microwave. We will be doing a 2-week trip to Yellowstone next summer, and that will be the ultimate test.

Definitely test your usage before spending money on upgrades!

What do you mean "I have the Smartshunt set up to show 100% of the 50% available with the lead acid battery."? I also have the Smartshuny installed, but I'm not following you on this part.