Options

Leaking shore water hose fitting, moisture under trailer skin.

Hooked up at a not so far away campsite. Sitting under humongous Cabellas Clam awning, having a cup of coffee and wife asks why do we have water leaking from under the trailer. As I look under the sink I see water coming from around the incoming water fixture. Disconnected and partially filled the onboard water tank. The pump and on board system is working fine. The issue is I now have water under the floor boards and was dripping out the right side front corner. Any suggestion on how to insure that I can eventually
remove moisture from beneath the bottom above the skin area. I was considering leave in the garage with good heater underneath. The dang thing is loaded with bedding and a couple awnings. Any other trailer I would release belly skin and apply heater on the garage floor. I really do not want to go there. Way to many years restoring and working on vintage stuff. I was hoping at my age and with this unit I would be over this.

Gig Harbor Tom
Trl '17 T@G Max
TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 633

@GigHarborTom - can you tilt it just slightly to encourage it to drain? When you say “skin”, do you mean the corrugated under belly? Is there wood in the TaG floor or is it all Azdel?

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

There is wood, chip board to be exact and it is not corrugated plastic, more like a black tarp. I once burned a small section of the tarp when I was making some mods to our T@G frame.

This is how I know.

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Jacked up the front in the garage. Any water that is/was in there ain't coming out the way it went in....I will look closer and repair as needed the incoming hose hookup. Tilting the trailer up did allow the on board water tank to drain out my garage door. My bride had opened the drain valve as we were buttoning up camp, to allow drainage on the way home. TEE HEE

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options
    edited May 2021

Well I am pretty sure my leaking issue was really not having the hose to inlet tight. plus caulking within the wall. All that and now I am having an issue where I unscrewed the inside connection. I have reinstalled the black end of pipe female fitting on the back side of the fill. Now I can't get a seal there. I have experience with copper but not the modern (to Me) RV plumbing. I for the life of me cannot get the inside black female fitting to quit shooting water all about. I was worried that i might have stripped some threads, also seems
    weird that the incoming male threads have a flat spot at top and bottom. I am assuming that there should be some type of internal connection that I do not understand.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options

I have the feeling, by how they look that somethnig is wrong with the treads. At the base of the treads, they almost look like they were crushed.

I would try to remove the clip that holds the pipe to the femal fiting to look at the treads inside, and to screew them together with a better fit, the place the pipe on the fitting and use a small standard pipe collar.

• Options
    rasras Member Posts: 173
    edited May 2021

Looks like you've got a broken vent too. Here's a fix for both problems: $21.99 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0735PZW4H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• Options
    edited May 2021

Yes, Dena blew up the photo for me and it is pretty obvious that I must have stripped the threads. While working on, it seemed like it, I did not want to believe the threads could be stripped. I will be ordering parts today. Thanks again.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

I had this same issue happen to me. I cut away the skin and had a fan on the floor board until it totally dried out. Mold is something I didn’t want to deal with. Went back to the RV sales company and took 3 months to fix.
    file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/77/07/874E850D-601C-4152-9E3C-33DD3EE8876D/IMG_1098.MOV

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

Any info on how to deal with the clamp fittings on this type of plumbing?

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options
    rasras Member Posts: 173
    edited May 2021

@GigHarborTom said:
    Any info on how to deal with the clamp fittings on this type of plumbing?

I cut the nipple off with a mini-hacksaw and replaced with adjustable hose clamps. I assume they're single use..

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• Options

Replaced the entire inlet fixture and hooked up tank fill hose, vent, and continue to have massive leak about that inner black fitting. Tried pipe thread tape, cut it down a bit. I then wrapped with more pipe tape and I am right back where I was. Anyone have info on that black female fitting. It does not appear to be stripped nor does the new outside male fitting look any different than the old. Wifey really wants that shore water to the sink.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options

Is it pipe tread tape that you need or a o ring that should go inside. If the connector are tapererd then it should be tape, but if they are flat, then it is a o ring. And if it is a o ring that need to go in, then no mater how much tape you will put, it will always leak.

Good luck

• Options

LuckyJ Pipe tape did not work. So I knew something is not right. Looking up inside of the black fitting it seemed I was really missing something. I suspect I screwed up and you are most likely right. I do not recall, but will look closer, an o ring might be lying about. I might take the photo out to the T@G dealer out side of nearby Tacoma.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options

LuckyJ...You were correct. I went out to the garage and in the area under the sink I found a white o ring. Assembled, hooked up hose, ran water thru sink and looks like, thanks to you, I am out of the woods. Now I need to caulk the new assembly I installed and screw it down. Through my own stumbling about, I managed to create a bigger project than anticipated.

Thank You and all for help and advice.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options

Great! Happy that it was that easy for me to help you! And i shoukd know better, a couple weeks ago, I had to pull the plumbing from under my gf's house's kitchen sink cause one of the pipe wqs plug.

I decided to throw all the food trash co ing out over the patio fence, then I reassembled the pipe. Guess was, my gf was screaming at me cause it was leeking. Well, I was out on the grass looking for a rubber gasket and I found it! 🤣

Problem solved! 😉

• Options
    Gerald98053Gerald98053 Member Posts: 25

Tom, I see your overflow vent pipe is disconnected. It looks like the plastic nipple is broken off but I can’t tell for sure. Looks exactly like mine. I found that filling the water tank caused at least a little water to come up and out the overflow. Eventually I’ll have to figure a way to reconnect it.

Gerald
    Redmond, Washington
    Nissan Armada
    Nucamp T@G (2017) & Forest River Vibe 25RK (2021)

• Options
    edited May 2021

@Gerald98053 said:
    Tom, I see your overflow vent pipe is disconnected. It looks like the plastic nipple is broken off but I can’t tell for sure. Looks exactly like mine. I found that filling the water tank caused at least a little water to come up and out the overflow. Eventually I’ll have to figure a way to reconnect it.

I did get that problem. It is fairly easy to replace the complete water outlet to fix that, but I found a way to go with a piece of brass pipe I had in my parts box and made it fit.

And you need to fix it if it is bad, cause a lot of water can come out of there when filling and traveling.

Sorry, no how too.

• Options

LuckyJ--- I replaced the entire inlet assembly. The vent pipe was cut off and I used a new hose clamp as suggested. Had a heck of a time and ended up heating the tube to get it in place. Also the white o-ring was found and that took care of the inlet situation..
    Thanks to all..

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options
    SomemedicSomemedic Member Posts: 89
    edited July 2021

That same thing happened to me in almost the same way.

I actually looked for a marine grade plumbing fix to retrofit so I wouldn't have to ever deal with it again but wasn't able to find one. Reinstalled a similar unit as to the one it came with.

I hate cheap plastic like this. Especially from china.

(Edited for language. Moderator)