Options

Security

AustinHealeyAustinHealey Member Posts: 66

Instead of a wheel immobilizer like the Brahma has anyone thought about just using a 6 foot PEWAG chain to run through the wheel and around the axle and lock it?

Comments

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I thought about it, but I do not feel the probability is worth the trouble and added weight. If it stored somewhere, then maybe for that period.

Insur you trailer for around $100 through your auto insurance. Items in the trailer are covered by your homeowners policy.

Relax and enjoy.

• Options
    rich67rich67 Member Posts: 164

I use the wheel immobilizer and a coupler lock. I have a large Krypto New York lock and chain, but I don't feel it necessary to run it in place of the immobilizer. I feel that is a deterrent enough. Bottom line, if someone wants to take your trailer, they'll get it with enough effort. It's just about a good visual deterrent to make them move onto less secure pastures.

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I use hitch and receiver locks. Put down my stabilizers. Lock my solar suitcase and battery with a cable/lock.

When I leave a boondocking site for any lenght of time, I play my mp3 player with pre recorded music, tv & sports sounds. Volume level is set so you hear if you get near the trailer. I have 10 hour loops which can repeat. Makes it appear as if someone is inside watching television.

• Options
    DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

I pretty much do the same as @JamesDow stated, with the addition of chain and lock through the wheel to the axle. If they want to take your trailer they will. Most trailer ani-theft devices can be defeated in under 5 seconds. I use several visible methods, and yup you can defeat them all in under one minute, but its to keep honest people honest.
    Reciever locks mean nothing to a 'pro', they bring their own chains, wrap them around the reciever and hitch ball, then drive away. They can remove the lock later on when they have time.
    Dropping the stabilizers is an excellent deterent, and costs you nothing. Anytime I stop for more than an hour where I can't see my baby, the stabilizers get dropped.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL