CPAP users backup power

We have a 2017 XL... with single deep cell Marine RV Battery. Also the trailer came with a 40 Watt solar that I am not sure what use it might be. I have run the CPAP and frig for three nights in the state park without shore power. Put battery on trickle charge over the winter. All went well so far.. Battery showed 13.7 when brought back on line in the trailer. Wondering the experience of others and how long I might be able to stay out without shore power. I have learned from experts here to turn the frig up to 40 or so and minimize other usage and maybe turn off at night. I have a great expensive cooler I keep in the TV. We do not use the sound system or TV. I have isolation switches that I have not installed yet. Thinking about just pulling fuse or connectors.

Gig Harbor Tom
Trl '17 T@G Max
TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

Comments

• zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 204

Interesting...I just posted in another thread about inverter power and a CPAP...etc. How are you currently powering the CPAP?

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

zqfiredude.. I just plug it into the 12 receptacle at the foot of the bed. Just wondering what others are doing with minimal battery and no solar. I have been known to use a cheap Jumper/compressor/ battery pack. That has usually lasted only 2 1/2 nights.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 204
    edited May 2021

I've got solar and a gennie, if I can make it through one night, I'm good. Any idea what the draw is?
    EDIT:
    In theory, mine is 57watts....thus by my expert GOOGLING, I get 4.75 amps....call it 5. 5 amp draw over say 6 hours = 30 amps. I'll check consumption on the next trip with our normal evening activities AND the CPAP and then see what the solar does the next day. I'll just have to get the 12v power adapter for the CPAP!

Then, as long as my lovely wife insists on the Keurig for our morning coffee, it will be the generator for a few minutes for coffee. =)

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

edited June 2021

Spent the four day, Memorial weekend off grid. Actually doing my mountain man rendezvous thing in a small period correct canvas wedge tent. I was able to use the little cheap jumper/compressor/trouble lite for three full nights tested using at home before I left. At camp the air was so cold after a while I had to shut down. The cold air was too much to breath. It was a 25 degree sleeping bag and Hudson Bay blanket night. The old bulky CPAP that I still use for travel does not have an internal heater. I'll try my latest model that has heated hose and air I think, and see how long it will operate next time out.
    "Getting old ain't for sissies"
    Getting in and out of that bloody trailer ain't for old goats either. But still enjoy, and comfortable sleeping.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Gerald98053Gerald98053 Member Posts: 25

Hi Tom, My CPAP has heated humidifier and tubing. I use a 12V to 24V converter from the CPAP manufacturer and it really drains the battery overnight (group 27 deep cycle). I am estimating 400 to 500 WHr (or 30+ to 40AH). When added to the refrigerator usage plus a little fan and maybe iPhone or iPad charger, my battery is rather sad by morning. Until I upgraded to the group 27 battery, the fridge would quit before morning. Because I like doing tech things, I put a 48 to 12 volt adapter on my bike battery and now use that to run the CPAP. Then I don’t have to worry about the fridge reaching a low voltage cutoff.

My next concern is the wiring. When I upgraded the battery, I used 10 AWG wire, but with the battery now out on the tongue the wire run is longer and 10 AWG is giving up to 0.6v loss at the fridge. I have ordered some heavier wire to replace the run from the battery to the power converter (and if necessary from the converter to the fridge). That’s my next little project. Perhaps it will be my last as I’m coming to the realization that I need to upgrade to a trailer with a shower.

Gerald
    Redmond, Washington
    Nissan Armada
    Nucamp T@G (2017) & Forest River Vibe 25RK (2021)

A shower and a potty are good things

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max