Options

Weather Molding needs replacing

csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353

Just found all our weather molding needs replacing as more than half of it is cracked on both sides. Not a very happy camper. I'm sure it sat out in the hot sun and weather at the dealers until we purchased it. Is this something that needs replacing every couple of years? Ours is only a 2020. According to this link, replacing is quite easy. Is this something many of you are doing quite often? Not sure what size the T@G requires....3/4 inch? Is it best to go through nuCamp? Could be a long wait. I'll call our dealer on Monday. https://liveworkdream.com/2015/07/08/rv-insert-trim/

Comments

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 637

This is the replacement vinyl insert that I got.
    I see little value in it, besides looks covering screws.
    Not a difficult job.
    I see no reason to go through nucamp.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Our T@G is a 2017, probably built in 2016, still the same strips, never stored inside but with a cover in winter, but we are fairly far north compare to most of you guys.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2021

I have replaced the vinyl strips on my trailer a couple of times at least. I finally replaced the black strips around the doors with white and they are now much more stable. The black trim expands and contracts much more than the white, causing it to either pull up at the bottom or pull off around the curves. The larger white moulding on the perimeter also moves about (shrinks and expands) in heat/cold cycles. The biggest thing one can do to keep it "happy" is to NOT stretch it tight when putting it on. It's just a trailer thing. Not hard to do. I suppose if you live where it's actually warm (not Wisconsin) it's worse as the sun plays havoc with it. I now carry a roll of it in the trailer.

Tip for those who hate doing what they're told:

The smaller, thin moulding strips that go around the doors CAN be replaced with the next size up. I did that and it ended the constant peeling away of the moulding on the top radius of the doors.

T@G owners don't necessarily HAVE to have self-abusive tendencies, but it sure makes things more enjoyable. Having a remarkably colorful vocabulary is also a huge help. Takes the edge right off of those maintenance chores. (Just ask me!) If you don't now HAVE a large, colorful vocabulary, it's quick and easy to learn! You'll be surprised to find how many other applications it's handy for...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

@JamesDow said:
    This is the replacement vinyl insert that I got.

So, it's the 1 inch the T@G takes?

• Options

@LuckyJ said:
    Our T@G is a 2017, probably built in 2016, still the same strips, never stored inside but with a cover in winter, but we are fairly far north compare to most of you guys.

Wow. In a short exposure to winter here in Labrador and our moldings split. Hopefully the next ones we put on last longer. Having said that, we will have it under shelter for the next round of winter.

• Options

1 inch is the size. Thicker on edges is what I got.

• Options
    hfxcarloshfxcarlos Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2021

Thanks JamesDow for the advice. We just replaced our vinyl insert trim on our 2018 T@G. We used the 1”x100’ Camco Vinyl Insert Trim, and still have 2/3 roll for future use. To complete this job we had to remove the pull handles and covers from the front corners, which also required Butyl Putty Tape under the handles (for flexing) and RV Caulking under the cover screws to reinstall. There are long and short screws in different places, keep track of which goes where on removal.

• Options

We just got our roll of Poly from nuCamp under warranty. Now it looks like more or a job as I see I need to remove the handles which will require a tube of caulking and a roll of Butyl Tape, costing close to $75.

• Options
    edited June 2021

I received a 100 ft roll of the stuff from nuCamp the other day after I purchased a roll. The small roll nuCamp sent me is much smaller so the stuff I bought is a lot thicker (and whiter)....also 100 ft. For those of you who did replace yours, did you have to remove the handles? That makes a bit more of a job. It almost seems like you'd be able to slide the strip in its track behind the handles, no? Maybe tougher to do with the thicker material I bought.

• Options
    hfxcarloshfxcarlos Member Posts: 4

@csonni: we had to remove our handles as two screws from each handle went directly through the insert trim. You can see this in the last photo from my post above. After handle removal, we cleaned the old caulking from around the handle cover screw holes and old putty from under the handles, then removed the old insert trim. We also checked all the screws under the trim the length of the trailer on each side to make sure they were secure and had putty in alternate holes, then reinstalled the insert trim, put putty under the handle screws and reinstalled handles, then caulked the cover screws and reinstalled those. In all it took my wife and I approximately 3 hrs, once we had a roll of new insert trim, butyl tape, and rv caulking.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

I wouod beleive those strip are mostly cosmetic, nothing to do with seal, so why not simply start them on each side of the handle by sliding it as far as possible behind the handle plastic cover??

• Options

@LuckyJ said:
    I wouod beleive those strip are mostly cosmetic, nothing to do with seal, so why not simply start them on each side of the handle by sliding it as far as possible behind the handle plastic cover??

We could do that for sure.

• Options

You can also use the same products purchased from a more common source (Home Depot). Or a hybrid repair as noted (LuckyJ) without removing the handles. Maybe some new silicone over some of the screws first.
    Pictured below are my alternatives for products.
    Silicone Sealant - Internet #206046715 Model #08791 Store SKU #1001392668
    Butyl Rubber Sealant Tape - Internet #207149821 Model #40BT Store SKU #457389
    Butyl Rubber Sealant Tape - Internet #205945574 Model #99415 Store SKU #714021

• Options

Got butyl tape and RV sealant on order. Will have to find a clear day to tackle it.

• Options

@hfxcarlos said:
    @csonni: We also checked all the screws under the trim the length of the trailer on each side to make sure they were secure and had putty in alternate holes, then reinstalled the insert trim, put putty under the handle screws and reinstalled handles, then caulked the cover screws and reinstalled those. In all it took my wife and I approximately 3 hrs, once we had a roll of new insert trim, butyl tape, and rv caulking.

The putty you're referring to...did you mean butyl tape?

• Options

Just finished the job. A bit tricky getting all the cover screws lined up for the holes. Not sure why nuCamp used long handle screws that go through the trim but rather short ones on the other side of the handle. Didn't want to strip those so we tightened them only so much. All-in-all....3.5 hrs.