Options

New T@G Boondock and our First Outing

jilkkajilkka Member Posts: 5
edited June 2021 in Camping & Travel

Hey all! Long time lurker here! Been reading here since my girl and I decided to go with a nüCamp T@G Boondock 5W back in mid-February.

Shout out to the awesome group over at Tom's Camperland Mesa for sticking with us from perusing their winter inventory (slim pickings) to working with us on filling out the order form to send to nüCamp. A big thanks to our salesman Jake, finance extraordinarire Emily and the jack of all trades, Jared.

We took delivery of our brand new 2021 T@G from the dealer this past Thursday, 5/27.

Our plan was to take her out to the Colorado Desert and camp the weekend at the Dome Rock BLM area off I-10, 11 miles East of Blythe, CA.

We arrived and set up around 10pm Thursday night. We were pleased with how easy it was to unhitch, maneuver by hand, stabilize and level the unit. Our Honda EU2200i ran the entire trailer like a charm, fuel lasted till about 6am; I'll admit it wasn't as full as I could make it.

Refueled and started it back up then started up the AC again. This went fine until around 9am when we woke up very warm: turns out the AC was blowing hot air. And upon stepping outside, the morning heat hit us.

Long story short, we packed up as hastily as we could after making brunch and bolted outta there. Temp was at 116 when we were leaving the site.

On the long road home I found the posts about similar issues on older T@Gs. We have planned to install at least 3 additional high flow (>80CFM) 12v fans in the bottom exhaust port to suck all the beat out of the AC cabinet, in addition to sealing it with HVAC tape.

I've already got other little projects in my mind to harness my interest in IoT as well.

Enjoy the photos!

Comments

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

I had the same issue with my unit. This was the final solution. AC still blowing cold.

Success! My dealer, Rogers RV in Burnet, TX, fixed the problem. After trying several new units, they pulled one from a new 2020. Instead of a Danby it is a Perfect Aire. Same result, however. Worked for a little while then the compressor shut down and hot air started blowing.

Turns out it isn't the unit at all. The ducting area isn't sealed very well as some of you have surmised in the comments above. They installed the unit, took the floor out of the Mandy Cabinet then taped and sealed the compartment below. Now all that hot air is able to exhaust out the bottom instead of just blowing around in the leaky cabinet.

I took her out for two days in 100 degree weather and left the unit on non-stop for the entire time. I dang near froze to death. I do agree the design is poor. nuCamp needs to address this right away. And the air blows right in your face and the thing is loud as heck. But I was comfortable. Also, I didn't open any vents or windows either. I will be buying an extra blanket, however.

Link to entire conversation: https://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/784/ac-doesnt-blow-cold-on-my-2019-t-g#latest

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Great,

I do agree, the thing is loud, and blows air in your face, but to me, i di prefer the cold than any warm temperature.

As a member of tge canadian coast guard, and a paramedic before, I have learn to sleep in any condition, and I just came off of an Ice breaker that is getting ready to travel up in the artic, well even on pier side, you could hear and fell engines and ventilation and generator runing while in my bunk and slept really well. Can not imagine how loud that thing is when braking ice. 🙄

But I guess I'm licky that lights and constant noise is not an isue for me.

I live in small towns, away from heavy trafic, trains and planes. But I know some houses and buildings that gets shacking by tgem, and peoples lives there. And I know that the AC will cover the road noise close the KOA camp grounds whe we have to stop for a quick night sleep. 😊

About different AC, I know that small square drops have a roof unit, interesting, but not sure I wouod like that on my round roof with a rack, stargazer window and roof vent.

🤔

• Options

@HikinMike yep I saw your solution about the taping in that thread! Looking forward to working on it this weekend.

• Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

great pix, you drove right by my house. we found the A/C is useless until the sun drops and then works perfect. The direct sun on the cowbells seems to overwhelm the thing

• Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

we live in the SoCal desert and camp in high temps, that A/C is a night unit only. Next time you're in Blyth, turn south to the Kofa Wildlife Preserve, awesome dispersed camping

• Options

@beaky I knew you were you out here somewhere! Not sure if we'll ever be back there voluntarily to be honest... Girlfriend was less than pleased hahaha.