Options

Instant LP hot water heater mod

toadzurgtoadzurg Member Posts: 14
edited June 2021 in Products & Accessories

Hi all, about a year ago I purchased a Gasland instant LP hot water heater, the thing works like a charm and is super handy for a quick shower, washing dishes, etc.

Currently it is mounted to a small rolling dolly, hinged in such a way as to lay down flat when in storage or traveling in the back of the truck between campsites, and flips up to a vertical position when in use. I hook it up to the T@G's existing pump/shower, and LP tank using a splitter at the tank and 10 ft. hose. This has worked out pretty well, total setup time is less than 5 minutes. The pain comes in the constant set up/break down whenever leaving site so it doesn't grow legs and walk away, and keeping it sheltered from rain and dewy nights. I could probably buy a lock and chain, but that just adds to the to do list.

A feasible solution to save time and add security would be to mount it directly to the camper inside a lockable, waterproof case, something like a Pelican 1550. I can visualize two options.

1: Mount the case and heater directly to the exterior, bolting right through the sidewall next to the water/electric hookups. I am not skilled or brave enough to tap into the plumbing and run dedicated water and LP lines so the current setup will have to do.

2: Mount a sideways facing 2" hitch and receiver to the trailer frame and build a custom rack to mount the case and heater. AKA something similar to a hitch bike rack.

1 would probably be less work, but I hate the thought of drilling holes in the side of the trailer. Also, would it be structurally sound enough to hold the weight of the heater and case? Combined weight of both is about 26lbs. Waterproofing is also a concern but nothing that a rubber washer and little silicone wont take care of.

2 also requires some structural modding, either A drilling, B welding, or C clamping, which I have the skills and tools for but prefer not A or B especially while the camper is still under warranty (6 more months).

Other thoughts and concerns- would the LP heater be able to handle long term road vibrations and jostling? The T@G probably isn't any rougher of a ride than being in the back of a 2nd gen leaf spring Tacoma.

Has anyone done something like this before? Any thoughts or experiences you'd like to share?

Many thanks!

2012 Tacoma, 2018 T@G XL

2018 T@G XL

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited June 2021

This is mounted to the frame with a bolt 9n bracket. I did the same thing on the other side for my spare tire.

@LuckyJ said:
    Propane cylinder size mod and relocation.

So, I wanted to go from our oem 20 lbs propane cylinder that was still on its original fill fro when the trailer was purchased new in the spring of 2017 (note that the propane cylinder was also used at the cabin on 2 occasion to heat up and cook a large crabe pot within that periode and is still probably 1/4 full) and replace it with a 5 pounder. I also wanted to relocate it, the same way I did with my spare tire, so on the side of the trailer, the left side this time. This as allowed me to place a piece of sheet metal to the bake of the oem aluminium front box to store stuff w/o losing any, and also install a lock on the box. The sylinder is also more accessible near the galley, and with an protective bag that open from the top (also open at the bottom so that propane would leak if needed), make it easy, quick and convenient to turn on and off. Sorry, no in process pics, I was planing to, tough about it, but forgot to get the camera before it was installed.

• Options
    toadzurgtoadzurg Member Posts: 14

@LuckyJ said:
    This is mounted to the frame with a bolt 9n bracket. I did the same thing on the other side for my spare tire.

@LuckyJ said:
    Propane cylinder size mod and relocation.

So, I wanted to go from our oem 20 lbs propane cylinder that was still on its original fill fro when the trailer was purchased new in the spring of 2017 (note that the propane cylinder was also used at the cabin on 2 occasion to heat up and cook a large crabe pot within that periode and is still probably 1/4 full) and replace it with a 5 pounder. I also wanted to relocate it, the same way I did with my spare tire, so on the side of the trailer, the left side this time. This as allowed me to place a piece of sheet metal to the bake of the oem aluminium front box to store stuff w/o losing any, and also install a lock on the box. The sylinder is also more accessible near the galley, and with an protective bag that open from the top (also open at the bottom so that propane would leak if needed), make it easy, quick and convenient to turn on and off. Sorry, no in process pics, I was planing to, tough about it, but forgot to get the camera before it was installed.

Did you secure the bracket by bolting through the frame or does it go behind it?

2018 T@G XL

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@toadzurg said:

Did you secure the bracket by bolting through the frame or does it go behind it?

It goes through the frame. Was looking for a forum picture, already to the right size, but could not find one, sorry. So tge bracket is shape to fit on the corner of tge frame, and if memory is correct, I drill 2 plate that goes on tge other side of the frame. I was able to use one hole already in the frame. Decided to use plate behind insteat of washer to have a larger surface spread.

For something light, maybe using double side 3 M tape and drill through the wall coukd work, but I would also use some kind of a plate on the insed wall to spear the load. The double side 3M foam grey tape would be so it does not wiggle in any direction.

But still not sure if I'm willi g to drill the outer walls for support.

• Options
    SomemedicSomemedic Member Posts: 89

I like the pelican case set up like I've seen on other teardrops and wonder why T@G hasn't already made this a reality yet.

I could see an aluminum LP #5 mount on that roadside fender. Open the pelican case and the hoses fitted with quick couplings drop down and and get connected for hot water.