Options

Solar setup for mostly fan + fridge usage

We have a T@G XL Boondock with factory solar and just finished up a 3 night trip at a rustic site. This is the second time we've gone out since getting an Alpicool C30 and I've found we're not able to run the cooler + vent fan for more than 24-36 hours or so. Aside from those, we use the water pump and maybe charge a couple devices. Most of our trips are usually only 3-4 nights, but I'd like to do longer trips next year (possibly for weeks) and not have to constantly worry about the battery level. We live in Michigan, so tree cover can sometimes create problems for direct sunlight. I've been looking at Renogy and Zamp suitcase panels and am wondering if an additional 100W or 200W setup would meet our needs?

And a somewhat related question - after our first night we moved our food into the Yeti to allow us to use the fan at night (i.e., cooler disconnected). The following day, the battery voltage was around 12.4-12.5V when we left for the day. It said the max level reached was 13V (per the Victron controller), but when I checked when we got back 6 hours later, it was reading 11.8V. Any idea what happened there? We checked all the switches and didn't leave anything on.

2021 T@G XL Boondock
2017 Honda Pilot EX-L

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 635

Voltage is not a great way to monitor your battery because to be accurate, it must be in a rested state. If you intend to Boondock using solar, you are much better off having a shunted battery monitor like the Victron BMS.

I suspect that you should start with a higher capacity battery. What is your battery rated at for 20 hr?
    Certainly more solar will offer faster charging and give you more options with a suitcase that you can move around.

Regarding the battery drain, there are parasitic draws from Jensen, the galley hatch solenoid, etc. That may account for the discharge. Also, the first sign of battery failure is inability to retain a charge.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

suitcases are better then flex but require full sun and proper alignment. no 12v fridge will cool below 43 if above 5000 feet in altitude and or above 87 degrees temp

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@beaky said:
    suitcases are better then flex but require full sun and proper alignment. no 12v fridge will cool below 43 if above 5000 feet in altitude and or above 87 degrees temp

Hum, last time we were in Florida, end of august, we had both of oir fridge running from shore power, the norcold was set to freeze our water bootles and other drinks, and tye ARB was set to keep other food cold.

No isues with around 105 degree temps for more than a week and closing the galley hatch but we were probably well below 200 ft.

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

My norcold can freeze at desert temp above 105. Hatch opened or closed. That is just operating on battery and solar.

• Options

obviously on shore power you can run the fridge, the A/C, the hairdryers with no problem, the topic was boondocking. We bought this trailer to avoid RV parks

• Options

every time we drycamp in hot weather the Norcold shuts itself off after a couple days to protect the batteries

• Options

@beaky said:
    every time we drycamp in hot weather the Norcold shuts itself off after a couple days to protect the batteries

If battery is down, I do understand that. But if battery is still good, it should not. If so, did you do the direct to battery wire upgrade for the fridge?

• Options

@beaky said:
    obviously on shore power you can run the fridge, the A/C, the hairdryers with no problem, the topic was boondocking. We bought this trailer to avoid RV parks

We are only talking about the fridge capacity. Who mentionned hair dryer, I don't even have hair to dry?? 😉

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

Personally I like 200W of monocrystaline panels for solar, but as Beaky said you need enough battery capacity to store the power. I went with 2 golf cart 6v batteries, but they do take a fair amount of room in the tub. I had 100w polycrystaline with the 2 6v batteries, and it would kind of work for my power needs on a 2/3 day trip but always felt like I was barely making it through. You might want to take the time to estimate your power consumption (there's a couple of people here that have posted spreadsheets), then size battery and finally solar size.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options
    rich67rich67 Member Posts: 165

I have the 100w factory panels and just upgraded to a lithium 100 ah battery. We shall see this winter how it works when we hit the road. I expect only to be running the Norcold, fan (intermittently) and lights on bat power. We are boondocking for a week or so on end, so this will be a true test.

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632
    edited July 2021

I summer boondock while in the desert. Picacho State Recreation Area. (2-4 times a year)

"My norcold can freeze at desert temp above 105. Hatch opened or closed. That is just operating on battery and solar"