Options

Using the "Solar plug" for trickle charging with battery tender

packetjunkiepacketjunkie Member Posts: 72
edited August 2021 in Battery/Electrical & Solar

My '21 Boondock XL has a solar panel, but it also has the solar connector on the front box. At least, that's what it was called - when I looked closer at the wiring it is from the plug directory to the battery positive and negatives with no solar controller in place.

Following someone elses lead, I added a solar controller in between so that when I use my panels as an added source (or when my trailer is under shade) I have that in place.

Which makes me think the plug was more useful as a battery charger (i.e. trickle charge) outlet - which actually is handy.

My question is - the controller is rated for 30A and 25V. I have a 12V tender than is low amp and even a beefier charger that goes up to 25A. Is there any reason I cannot use the port for both my solar panels and to simply plug in for a battery charge/trickle charge when I am not using the trailer for an extended period of time?

I added a second master switch for "everything else" that the primary doesn't cover for winter storage.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 633

Sounds like you wired the solar SAE port to the solar controller. I don’t think you can run your AC charger through the solar controller. Maybe wire some pigtails to the controller and plug it in when you need it. That way, you can reserve the SAE port for charging. I think you can also charge via the 7 pin.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    rasras Member Posts: 173
    edited August 2021

I have a battery maintainer/rejuvenator (I think I got it from Northern Tool) that uses the zamp connector to switch from ring terminals to clamps and vice-versa. The polarity is opposite the tag but I cut and reconnected the cable with correct polarity and use it to maintain our T@G in the winter. It allows me to leave the lid closed on the after-market toolbox I installed. Didn't go looking for it, already had it and saw the possibilities. While camping, I connect a 100W Renogy Solar suitcase with built in controller to the same port. Again I had to reverse the polarity (although adapters are available).

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner