Options

A definitive answer to tongue weight questions

TagAlong1331TagAlong1331 Member Posts: 2
edited August 2021 in Trailers & Towing

EDIT:
I reached out directly to Nucamp through their customer experience department. The max tongue weight they recomment is 15% of your DRY WEIGHT
That means your tongue weight range based on model is as follows:

TAG 1,284 lbs:
- 10% = 128
- 15% = 192.6
TAG XL 1,388 lbs
- 10% = 138
- 15% = 208.2
TAG Boondock: Total Gross Weight Dry 1,415lbs.
- 10% = 141.5
- 15% = 212.25
TAG XL Boondock: Total Gross Weight Dry 1,505lbs.
- 10% = 150.5
- 15% = 225.75

While on the phone with them, I pointed out that their manual contains the procedure I described below in my original post. They were surprised by this, and said that they would be passing that information onto the larger team to get it sorted out. They asked that I use the numbers provided above, and said that they would reach out to me with any updates if that recommendation of max tongue weight changes

I will leave my original post below while it's getting sorted out, but treat the absolute maximum tongue weight right now as 225.75 LBS, and less if you don't have a boondock model.

This is my old post in which I calculated the numbers using the procedure defined within the Tag manual, but I confirmed with NuCamp that this number is not what they tell people as the max tongue weight. I'm waiting on a confirmation as to whether or not the manual is a mistake or if they just give a very conservative estimate when you ask directly. Do not use this process to calculate your max tongue weight. Your max tongue weight will be up to 225.75 (model depending)

This all started because I wanted to know if I could safely place my Honda EU2200I generator on the tray of my Tag Boondock. I've been reading the forums and I've found a few good resources on explaining the mechanics of tongue weight, but I hadn't found anything that definitively says what the maximum tongue weight is, and that sent me down a rabbit hole. I think I have the answer now...

And that answer is: 330 LBS

In order to find out how to calculate that number, I used pages 23-27 of the TAG owners manual:
TAG owners manual and my TAG's labels:

Here's the simplest numbers you need to know:

• GVWR - The maximum operating weight of a trailer as specified by the manufacturer including the vehicle’s chassis, body, fuel, accessories, and any cargo.

According to my Tag's label:
GVWR = 2200 lbs

Page 27 of the Owners Manual says:
To express the tongue weight as a percentage and determine if
the tongue weight is within the safe operating margin of 10-15% of gross
trailer weight
, divide the result of Step 6 by the result of Step 7. Record it
as Tongue Weight Percentage:

a. If the Tongue Weight Percentage is under 10%, move trailer cargo
to the front of the trailer. Repeat Steps 2-8 to reweigh.
b. If the Tongue Weight Percentage is over 15%, move trailer cargo to
the rear of the trailer. Repeat Steps 2-8 to reweigh.

Based on the directions on the owners manual: 2200 lbs *.15 = 330 LBS.
But this number only applies if you've maxed out your cargo capacity. If you haven't, your numbers will be much lower.

If we apply this same logic to a TAG delivered right off the showroom floor
Numbers from here:

TAG 1,284 lbs:
- 10% = 128
- 15% = 192.6
TAG XL 1,388 lbs
- 10% = 138
- 15% = 208.2
TAG Boondock: Total Gross Weight Dry 1,415lbs.
- 10% = 141.5
- 15% = 212.25
TAG XL Boondock: Total Gross Weight Dry 1,505lbs.
- 10% = 150.5
- 15% = 225.75

If you've added cargo weight, you'll have to figure out the amount of weight you've added (which must be less than 710 lbs, water tank included...see my explanation below) and then do this same calculation.

A couple of other things to note.
TAG Boondock: Tongue Weight Dry 156lbs
TAG XL Boondock: Tongue Weight Dry 156lbs

It seems what NuCamp lists on its website is is the tongue weight as it sits when delivered, which they've conveniently set to ~10% of GVWR for balanced towing right out the gate. I have a Tag XL boondock and have verified the tongue weight of 156 pounds with a Sherline LM 1000.

And one final number to point out. The maximum Cargo capacity the TAG XL can be found when you open one of the doors. For me, that number is 710 LBS

TAG XL Boondock: Total Gross Weight Dry (1,505lbs) + maximum Cargo capacity (710lbs) = 2215 lbs, which is right around the GVWR limit.

Based on everything I've found this seems to be accurate, but I'd love your opinions.

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

That is an impressing work to help people undestand the numbers.

Good job! 😊

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 635

Surprised that there is no indication of max tongue weight. Our TaB has a sticker on the frame with a limit of 700#. Our real limit is dictated by our TV limit of 350#.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    rasras Member Posts: 174

I've found the easiest and least expensive way to measure tongue weight is your bathroom scale. Place it under the jack while the trailer is connected to the TV, uncouple from the TV and jack the trailer up.

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• Options
    TagAlong1331TagAlong1331 Member Posts: 2

I've updated my original post with information provided by NuCamp's customer experience department. The number they recommend is not the 330LB number. It's 225.75. Please see my updated post above

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited December 2021

Boy....it's been ages since I last measured my tongue weight. I did a complete weigh and measure about 20 times when I installed my Timbren axle system but haven't checked since. I recognize that I'm being lazy, but to be fair, I haven't moved things around much since then either.
    As the OP states, I have my 2200 generac generator mounted to the front of my trailer and it's been there for most of my trailers' 60,000 plus miles. Last time I checked, my tongue weight was around 240# or so with the lunette hitch installed. I've since gone back to the ball hitch and that reduces tongue weight by 12-ish pounds. For my own trailer, when I converted it to the new hitch style, I added quite a lot of weight (20>lbs?) just for the adjustable receiver and gusset plates.
    As to adding the weight of a generator.... keep in mind that I run with scissors constantly...
    But, assuming the generator is added as far forward as possible, right tight to the landing jack, then 98% of the generator weight is static tongue weight. One of the primary reasons I replaced my hitch coupler was to add structural integrity to the hitch/frame junction. I have no doubt the stock hitch assembly is up to the job of hauling about an extra 50 or so lbs, but adding a bit of beef there seemed to me to be prudent, particularly because I often find myself on the goat-path less traveled.
    For my own private paranoia and sleepless nights, I worry waaaaaayyyy more about folks who add a significant amount of additional weight further back, near where the frame meets the body. This is nearly at the point of the frame where it's welded together. My spidey-sense tells me that loading a trailer there is much more prone to problems than further forward where most of the additional weight is actually on the hitch, not the frame joint. So long as the tongue weight up front is less than the tow vehicle max tongue weight, it's actually less stressful on the frame than adding the same weight onto the frame joint right ahead of the trailer body. IMHO, that frame joint is the T@G's Achilles heel, followed closely by axle strength.
    As I said, don't do as I do. Follow manufacturer's guidelines if you don't feel comfortable otherwise. But for my money, that frame joint is where you should NOT be putting your anvil collection. And remember: When weighing your trailer tongue weight, always do so with the water tank full. It makes a significant difference in tongue weight. I'd also highly recommend running your rig across a CAT scale occasionally. Tongue weight is meaningless without accurate trailer weight.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.