Loading Gear in TAG/TV

dpyo4812dpyo4812 Member Posts: 15

I have a TAGXL 2018 outback, and and F150 2.6 Turbo dual cab, and 5 ft bed. When we car camp we would have pretty much everything in the bed of the truck and our Cooler and food in the back seat. My question for people have similar set ups how much do you actually load in your Tag.? compared with your TowVehicle..

Comments

• zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 204

We don't really "load" stuff in the T@G. Clothes, bedding, and the cooler in the galley is pretty much all that's in addition to regular trailer stuff. I don't want things bounding around inside that could cause damage or spill.

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

We travel with two dog (one on the larger size, one of medium size) in a jeep 2 dodor unlimited wrangler that has a drawer system in the back, so we must load stuff in the T@G bed. But it will mostly be ours 2 -100 ltres waterproof bags, sometimes the jeep sorf doors and other stuff. It is easy to load s9ft bags and other so that nothing moves inside.

• evpeelingevpeeling Member Posts: 67

Depends on how we are camping. If we just need a place to crash, then we keep everything in the TV so we can hop straight in the tag and go to sleep without having to unpack. If we are going somewhere to stay for a while, then we will put our camp equipment (ex. EZ up, chairs, table) in the tag. Anything that we may not use (ex. portable solar panel) always goes in the TV. You will find the system that works best for you in time.

2020 Tag BD 5W, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, PA

• packetjunkiepacketjunkie Member Posts: 72

I also have an F150 with the back loaded up and ready to go for camping all season (I dont unpack it, why when I have all that unused space?).

In my T@G XL Boondock I have plastic over our bedding and I keep my 25' flagpole (telescopic, obviously) with cellulat booster, two large folded chairs we use outside and various smaller stuff for the kitchen that all lays flat and doesn't move very much.

When we camp, everything inside the trailer comes out and the plastic is folded and stowed. In the F150 there's stuff that may or may not need to be unloaded, but is there if we need it. Canopys, Lighting, spare generator, fuel, parts, hammocks, wood, etc....

• CTNomadCTNomad Member Posts: 1

We're towing our TAG with a Toyota Highlander. Clothes, food, and the cooler stay in the car since we're frequently in bear country. Everything else goes into the TAG when we tow. We do have a tarp down inside the TAG and move the two mattresses to the middle on top of it (had a leak one time early on). Then we put the sleeping bags/pillows on top. Large items (canopy, chairs, tables) have their own bags and go on either side of the mattresses. The one thing we did recently is purchase several large rubbermaid-type baskets with lids. Everything that fits goes into these (carpets, kitchen stuff that doesn't fit in the cabinet in the kitchen area, paper products, towels, athletic gear/bike stuff, etc.). The reason is that when we unpack at a campsite, if it rains (or when it rains) everything outside the TAG is in a rainproof bin. Then we don't have to deal with additional tarps or worse - wet stuff.

• The_RiggerThe_Rigger Member Posts: 98

I tow a T@G XL with an '18 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited. Bedding and a light clothes duffel go in the camper, cookware and cutlery go in the galley along with a modest amount of frozen food in the Iceco. Heavy stuff (2nd cooler full of food, camp chairs & table, water, generator & fuel if I'm going boonie-bashing, &c.) go in the back of the car. I strive for a sub-1,500 lb. load in the camper, not to exceed 200 lbs tongue weight. That way I get a nice stable tow and also manage to keep some gas in the car - much as I love my Subaru, the way the CVT is geared is far from ideal for towing.

Dave in Michigan
    '21 T@G XL (that secretly wants to be a Boonie)