Options

Dry camp, inverter 110 VAC to outlets

T@G 320 2017. While dry camped I plug my shore power cord into a 400 watt DC to AC inverter. I place my cheap inverter on top of the battery box and connect it to the battery with an Anderson connector. This lets me power small loads from any outlet in the trailer. This required an electrical modification. It's bad to power the on-board battery charger with inverter power. I have the three-way fridge. Without shore power I run the fridge on propane.

Here is the modification: Hire an electrician to move the 110 volt battery charger circuit breaker connection to the fridge 110 volt breaker. When using the DC to AC inverter switch off the fridge breaker because this will switch off the battery charger. After this modification all of the overload breakers are still in service, and GFCI is also still working.

No kidding. Hire an electrician.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 633

@billmaghan - you have a TaB not a TaG. This is the forum for TaG owners. Here is the link for the TaB forum: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/

Apply here: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6267/t-b-forum-membership-application-please-read#latest

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited August 2021

🤣

But this could work on a T@G as well, if you badly need small 110 v apliance. Suitable?? To each their own! 😊

• Options
    packetjunkiepacketjunkie Member Posts: 72
    edited August 2021

Actually, this isn't a bad idea. When I learned that rewiring the AC outlets to an inverter would be prohibitively expensive, I had the thought of building a "box" about the size of a generator with a 100-200ah lithium battery and a 2k inverter that I would plug into the trailer to power the outlets for small appliances. I could charge the "box" from a generator or get what I can from a 105watt external solar panel.

What held me back was that the battery would then also be charging the battery in the trailer, which I didnt really want. Question, does the T@G have a "battery charger circuit breaker" that can be turned off so that it isn't being charged by the AC shore power connection? (If so, this could work! Would still charge via the solar panels, power would flow to the AC outlets, but it wouldn't charge the battery off the shore power connection).

With a 105ah deep cycle, I use about 25% from evening to morning and I run under trailer glow lights, fan, fridge and some lighting in the back primarily. I can get back to 100% using both the roof panels and adding in the 105wayy external panel by early afternoon on good days, later afternoon on partly cloudy. In a pinch, I can get two days if I need to without using a gas generator.

We never have shore where we go.

I'm looking to be able to use a 4k 27" Dell monitor that I dont use at home any more for computers as an HDMI monitor connected to a tablet for watching movies (if I can get some kind of mount setup inside, but outside I have the desk arm that can attach to the outside of the trailer to hold). It uses about 50W for power, so even a small inverter would likely work. But with 2k inverter I could make my Keurig coffee without using the generator in my truck.

• Options
    billmaghanbillmaghan Member Posts: 2

Sharen_is_Sam, thanks for the URL. It may be that I found the right forum but bought the wrong trailer! My T@B is too tall to go into the car port.