Options

My '21 XL Boondock Ultimate Bedding setup

packetjunkiepacketjunkie Member Posts: 72
edited September 2021 in Tips & Tricks

I'm a terrible sleeper and over the years I've obsessed over mattresses, pillows, comforters, etc. Keeping it short, I seem to go through all of them on a frequency that is unusual. My pillow obsession is unhealthy and I know it. :)

When I picked up my '21 XL Boondock, I knew I was in for some work to get it to where I would not just "like" to be camping, but I would "love" to be camping. After years of going through the process for camping with a tent, at least here I had something with a solid foundation to work with.

Your mileage will vary, but there are some good lessons learned about sizes in here. I also didn't spend a fortune, but I did end up with some stuff I ended up giving away or returning in my search for the right fit/comfort combination.

Base

It starts with DenDry - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DLB8CGM/ - while I know that there are some setups that others prefer, I went for this setup and I am pleased with the 10 minute install. Now I don't have to worry about mold, condensation, etc. Two cuts of the roll and I had a perfect fit.

Mattresses / Toppers

On top of there I kept the stock dual mattresses. Mostly because they fit perfectly and I was going to go with a memory foam topper.

Memory Foam - I went through 3 setups. The first was a 3" cooling setup that I got at Kohls while returning Amazon and bought on a whim a month before the unit even came in. I was pretty happy with that on top of the stock mattresses, except it was a Queen sized and there was about 2-3" on each side because it is smaller than the interior setup. This "gap", while useful at times to put things along the edge at times made me think I wanted wall-to-wall. I did try a second topper because I wanted to try a 4" memory foam (LUCID - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9D4XC9/), but I melted into it and turning sides was a bit awkward. I did not like that sinking feeling, so it went back.

Finally, I went for the Tempur-Pedic Medium Firm King sized topper (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HEOBVOY/) - yes, this can be pricey, but if you watch it, you'll catch a deal. Right now its $449, but I got it for $276. I used some electric cutters and trimmed 4" off one size and put the cover back on. What's worthwhile is that the 4" that I trimmed could be used for the queen sized should I need to swap for any reason (but I can't imagine why, so not sure what I'll do with it)

Bedding

For bedding, I went with Beddy's. I love how easy Beddy's are to make (just zip like a sleeping bed) and its comfortable.

My first setup was a Queen which worked fine, except because its smaller than the bottom mattresses, it wasn't a great fit. It worked, but with the new King sized Tempur-Pedic, I ordered a King sized setup. I secured the bedding to the mattress with those under mattress straps. (You can actually cover both the topper and the mattresses if you care to.)

The Beddy is a pretty comfortable setup - however, temp wise it can be hit and miss. I believe I got cotton, which can be pretty warm during the summer, so I do have a lighter comforter for warmer weather. I picked up a Koolaburra (by Ugg) thin comforter. If you havent tried these, they are really nice. Love the feel. For the cooler nights coming, I went with two Twin XL Koolaburra fur comforters.

Pillows

I'm someone who can easily end up with 6 pillows on my bed... but the trailer is best suited for a more minimalist setup. I simply went with two cooling memory foam pillows, two goose down pillows that I like and one memory foam small pillow for between my knees.

So, there you have it - a season of several variations of attempts to get it "just right" and the final result. I hope this helps you in your search for a great nights sleep.