Options

Weight Distribution Hitch?

We have a 2021 Toyota RAV 4WD and we are getting a 2022 TAG 5 Wide Base model. The RAV is rated to tow 1500 lbs. and the mentioned TAG is under 1300 lbs. Can anyone advise if a weight distribution hitch is required / suggested for this trailer?

Thank you for the comments.

Comments

• Options
    rasras Member Posts: 173

No. You need a car with more towing capacity or you'll be replacing transmissions.

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• Options
    HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140
    edited November 2021

I'd say RAS is probably right. You might get lucky, depending where and how you tow. How much weight will you have IN the RAV 4? Likely somebody will chime in with their success towing with a RAV 4, but with most anything in the trailer you are really pushing the weight limit.

You didn't buy the T@G so you could drive around the country and worry, so whether you upgrade your tow vehicle or not, make your decision and then just go with it. "Enjoy the ride" as they say. Best of luck.

2014 T@G

• Options
    JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198
    edited November 2021

If you have a trailer tow mode or can control the shift, just don’t let it go in and out of overdrive constantly and you’ll likely be fine for quite a while.

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I have a 2012 Toyota Rav4 4WD as my tow vehicle (after market hitch) (< 60,000 miles) and tow a 2018 5-wide (Non Boondock).

I have experienced no problems whatsoever. Took cross-country this summer. No need for weight distributing hitch (I.M.O.)

Don't pack weight in the trailer. Watch your cargo capacity in your Rav4.

Enjoy - I would not hesitate to buy a newer Rav4 again as my tow vehicle.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited November 2021

We had major transmission issue with a V6 RAV 4 @70 000 miles, just before that, it was the transfer case, that had never towed before we got the T@G. The thing had more than 3500lbs capacity.

I woukd never tow with a RAV 4 but not because of towing capacity! 🤣

my nissan x-trail with manual transmission rated for 1500 lbs towed trailers (including the TAG outback 5w) for thousands of miles w/o issues. I put it to sleep last month. Was a 2005 with 250 000 miles. Rust cancer was bad, live in salt road country! 😊