Options

Emptying the water tank?

I'm attempting to winterize my T@G myself since I procrastinated and we're expecting a low of around 30 degrees tonight. I'm a little confused on how to get all of the water out of the tank - you can see it in the photo below, the water level goes up about an inch from the bottom of the tank (the tongue is jacked up all the way, so it probably looks higher than it really is). I have a 2021 and I opened the exterior valve on the outside and that only let a very small amount. I already ran the pump and it's not picking up anymore water, and I also blew out the lines with an air compressor. Is there a good way to get the remaining tank water out, or is that amount fine to sit there over the winter? I live in MI, so we get some cold weather.

I also saw some on here mention they don't use antifreeze. Is this still an okay thing to do if I blew out the lines?

2021 T@G XL Boondock
2017 Honda Pilot EX-L

Comments

• Options
    mirasolamirasola Member Posts: 13

Now I'm extra confused. That exterior valve on the side I was referring to is specifically for draining the tank. When I open it, nothing more comes out no matter how I tilt the trailer. When I undid the gray fittings that go into the bottom of the trailer, nothing came out either...

2021 T@G XL Boondock
    2017 Honda Pilot EX-L

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

I've got a 2018 Boond9ck and it drains differently but I had to jack the front jack all the way to drain the most water out of the tank. You'll still have a little water in the tank but shouldn't hurt anything (my drain pipe is above the bottom of the tank.

Personally I use RV water system antifreeze every year but don't put any in the tank (and it saves a pile of time running and refunding water in the tank to flush in the spring). I use a Camco winterizing kit that puts a valve above the tank to rest of the system. It takes about 10 mins to put the kits hose in a tank then run pink fluid through the faucet and external shower.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

For water level, if tye trailer is tilted like you sa8d, you should only have remaining water in the tank. I see what, less than an inch at the base of the tank? This should all be located in that rear section. So when level, you would have maybe 1/8 in on the entire surface. I perso do not worry about that, when freezing, it will not have enough strenght to crack the tank.

About the drain hole, I think you have tge new set-up, co pare to the 2017 model like i have. But what happen is that when the fab the plastic tank, they must weld a flange to the tank wall, but they do not let the resses outside the tank, but toward the inside. This is why the water can not fully drain. Also, the way they sit in the trailer is flat on the ground, so it does not help to create a funnel toward the drain.

So about the tank, pretty sure you are good to go. As for the plumbing, I do what you did, but not always do the blow the line part, rund everything with every valve open, including the outside hose, then undo the fittings eaxh side of the pump. I also undo the bell at the non returning valve and call it done.

This is how i do it and never had issues.

But if you are not sure of your self, go with antifreeze.