Options

Question about buying a used 2021 T@G XL Boondock

I'm looking at a used 2021 T@G XL Boondock being sold by a Nucamp dealer. It doesn't look like it was used much. The price is $2,000 less than a new one at the same dealer and the used one already has an Alpicool C30 refrigerator mounted on a sliding shelf, something I would do anyway.

HOWEVER ... I noticed that where the galley countertop meets the trailer sides, both left and right, there are small cracks running all along that joint on both sides. I've never owned a Nucamp trailer and I have yet to take a close look at it. Is cracking at that point normal in a trailer this new or is that a sign of a deeper structural problem or abuse? Is that just cracked caulk in the joint? The rest of the trailer looks really clean like it wasn't really used. Also odd that the trailer came from an out-of-state dealer originally.

Does any of this raise a red flag for those in the know? Don't want to buy trouble. Thanks.

My wife wonders why I go to the woods and then work hard to create all the comforts of home.
2021 Tag XL Boondock

Comments

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632
    edited November 2021

I have a 2018 non boondock 5-wide. Bought used and have put on around 10,000 miles. Take a lot of dirt roads. I have no cracks showing in my caulk joints.

I would guess you are looking at a minor manufacturing issue do not think I would worry much, but ask the dealer and/or dealer service staff.

$2,000 off is not a lot. Work on it.

• Options
    ahbradfordahbradford Member Posts: 14

I believe that's just normal caulking, they could easily replace it. Just make sure the warranty still applies.

• Options
    JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198
    edited November 2021

I had the screws pop out of mine and the countertop sagged. I had to invent a way to deal with it. Probably just caulk cracking from the side flex but maybe not.

I had to invent fenders and steps too and have a horse trailer manufacturer create new fenders with steps made from real metal and frame mounted. The factory fenders cracked from vibrations.

I had trailer light wiring problems develop.

Fire extinguisher fell out because mount literally pulled out of the wall

Rear hatch locks fell apart too

It is disheartening how flimsy these trailers are though.

Replaced the factory china bomb bounce-o-matic tires with goodyear.

All of these problems started less than 1,000 miles, brand new trailer.

After these things, so far so good.

• Options
    RadicalDadRadicalDad Member Posts: 11

Thanks, everyone. When I went to pick it up, I asked about this issue, and several others. The service tech (not a salesperson) who did the walk-through with me was very informative, and also forthcoming about the trailers sold at his dealership. He said that the pandemic was slowly taking its toll on all trailer manufacturers, and NuCamp was not immune (pun intended). That said, he thought NuCamp was still one of the best brands his dealership sold with the fewest factory problems. Having owned a retail store in the past, I didn't have the impression he was BS-ing me or trying to confirm my purchase.

As for my particular trailer, there were two brand new 2022 Tag XL Boondocks he had just prepared to go out in addition to mine. He thought mine, being a year older, was best among the three. As for the cracks between the side walls and the countertop edges, both of the new trailers also had them. The one I'd seen out front just didn't have them - yet. The service tech showed me how the walls in the galley flexed slightly when the doors opened, and he thought that was what caused the cracks. He illustrated that in all three trailers. I'm guessing if you don't pull hard on the door when it opens, the flex is less and the cracks don't appear. The caulk used on @JamesDow's trailer might be a caulk that remains more flexible during its life and thus won't crack with minor flex. If this is a structural defect from the factory, it is present in all three trailers. Fingers crossed the service tech is right and I've got a good one.

Again, many thanks for the advice.

My wife wonders why I go to the woods and then work hard to create all the comforts of home.
    2021 Tag XL Boondock