Options

Rock chips on the fenders of my T@G Max.

Wondering if any one has found a place to have aluminum diamond plate formed to fit the front of the fiberglas fenders. I had Clear bra from 3 m put on the front of my fenders, but the rocks cut through it. If any one has found a place that will make this please let me know. I think the factory would make a fortune if they made this an option. Thanks for the help
Boyd

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited December 2017

What about so,ething like herculiner or other bedliner type of paint? I know that durabak as different colors available.

Shaping dimaond plate to fit round fiberglass fender is feasable, but a lot of work, so could be expansive. But if you find, a lot of people might be interested.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

You can buy diamond plate fenders preformed. I've seen them on the web.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    BoydBoyd Member Posts: 10

WilliamA, Thank you, I have seen them also, but they don't wrap around the tire like the stock ones do. Thanks again

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

I'm curious if this is a widespread problem or is it because you travel more gravel roads? I've owned 4 trailers and know that riad grit literally sandblasts the fenders, but am just asking to understand the issue more and seek out a solution for the factory too. Can you post up some photos of the damage?

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

Mike, I do not travel gravel roads. With our trip across Canada did have some road work, but slowed down just for that reason. I got some small chips going from down south to riverside. Talked to the dealer at time, and he said there was no cover. So I had clear bra put on. Did well, but the long trip 13,500 mile trip took a toll on the clear bra. I just removed it and still have a few small chips on the fender. Will try to take some picks.
    Note: I looked into rino linings and lineX spray on. Don't know if I am ready for that yet. Would like to find a molded piece of diamond plate that would fit the exsiting factory fenders.
    Thanks all still looking.
    Boyd

• Options

I know that the factory did find someone to fabricate the diamond plate tubs for the front of the trailers so it can be done. You might want to check with one of the custom accessory shops that do similar work on pick-ups and off road vehicles. You'd definitely need a specialty shop, someone who can bend, cut and grind diamond plate material.

Another thing you might consider is purchasing a thinner grade of diamond plate, cutting it and fabricating it yourself. I don't know how far up on the fender you plan to place the diamond plate, but could see this mod being attached with some pop rivets or even some stainless steel screws set flush into the diamond plate.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

@Michigan_Mike The diamond plated aluminium tub are round, but only on one plane. Like half a cylinder, but when you want to cover a fiberglass fender like a T@g, it as to be shape either on a 3d mold with a press of manualy made with a hammer. Metal builder like chopper and hotrod builder would shape metal with a hammer or an englsih wheel. But wonder if english whell can be done with cheker plate.

• Options
    edited December 2017
  • Options
  • Options

And again, I would beleive that the T@G fiberglass fender are molds that belongs to NÜcamp and that a suplier are making them for NÜcamp. So a metal mold would need to be made to have aluminium fender cover to be made exclusively for the T@G.

It would be cheaper I beleive to have leather bra made for each fender, like some have on caf hood.

But I am just trwoing ideas here.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Untreated aluminum tends to reject just about anything you can paint on. It also tarnishes quickly in the presence of oxygen. That said, one of the best finishes for fenders is to have them powdercoated. You can get them in just about any color or texture. Powdercoat is extremely rugged and not too spendy if you do the prep work yourself. Bedliner is another good option (I did mine on my LG) and you can do it yourself quite easily at home. Wash the aluminum with soap and water, dry them and then prime with an acid-etching primer made for aluminum. I like Duplicolor Bedliner in spray cans. It goes on easily and can be touched up with out hassle. Any color of black that you want!
    Raw aluminum is nearly impossible to keep scratches and dents out of.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Good info above!

As for a bra for the fender, my experience with these add-on bras has been that they do tend to rub against and dull the paint finish because of any wind that gets beneath them. I had a custom bra made for my former Silver Shadow trailer that covered the front of the trailer and was used on my way up to Alaska along the AL-CAN Highway. After 10K miles I removed the bra and found that the paint had been rubbed dull in areas where the fabric flapped against the sides and along the roof of the trailer. This was very disheartening but it was successful in protecting the stargazer window from rocks tossed up from the gravel roadway in sections of the AL-Can. It actually looked pretty cool too but I would never do it again or encourage anyone to do it.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

Thanks all. Still hoping the factory will come up with a hot idea. Mike I agree the bra idea is a good idea, but again it does tend to rub on the paint under it. Found that out on the front of my 40ft coach. Still searching. Boyd

• Options

Lucky J, I agree, the molds that are used to make the fiberglass fenders would have to be duplicated to do thin metal.. Agree it would have to be custom made just for the T@G fenders.

• Options

@Michigan_Mike and @Boyd , I do agree, once you install a bra, it as to stay on. And I am sure that small dust get in between the soft and hard material.

Boyd, I think I would try a speed shop. They might have an idea. Looking at the vids, I might not take that long for them to shape small piece for that application.