Options

Winterizing the TAG Electrical System

Hi, I did a quick search for the topic but didn't see anything so I apologize if I am repeating a question. I am done winterizing my plumbing/water system on my 2021 TAG 5 Boondock. I found plenty of information online about that but virtually nothing about what to do with the electrical system before I cover it. This will be my first winter with my new trailer, I live in Denver so expect freezing weather soon. So... I assume I would do the same during winter as I would during any long period in outdoor storage. I'm a little confused though. The 2021 TAG owner's manual says to "disconnect the 120V AC power." What all does that entail? Do I just have to turn the battery disconnect switch to OFF, or do I need to actually unhook the battery, and do I need to do anything at the power distribution panel? Sorry if this is too basic but I'm still a newbie.

Comments

• Options
    Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148

I pull the battery out and bring into the house and put on trickle charger, if needed. If my camper was plugged in to 120vac, I disconnect first for the winter. Camper is then covered even under a carport.

• Options
    HerdHerd Member Posts: 35

The tickle charger is must for the winter.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 633
    edited November 2021

@DancingBear - “disconnect AC power” just means to unplug it from shorepower. Store the power cord. Nothing to do in the power control/converter box.

Not assuming you know anything here, so sorry if this is unnecessary info.

Assuming you have a regular wet cell lead acid battery. Make sure your battery is fully charged before storing it off the floor in a cool, dry, ventilated place (basement or garage). Turn off the battery switch, then remove the negative cable first followed by the positive cable. Using a wrench to loosen the cable bolt, be careful not to touch the wrench to any metal or to the positive battery terminal as you will receive a shock. Get some help with this if you have not done it before.

Do your homework on chargers. A trickle charger applies a constant charge and may not have an automatic cut off resulting in an overcharged battery. A smart charger is a safer bet. You still need to check to see if the battery needs water from time to time if not sealed. You can also store the fully charged battery and hook it up to a charger at intervals, so, you have options.

AGM batteries are more tolerant and can be left outside after a full charge with intermittent checks/charging as needed.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Administrator Posts: 517

I think everyone has their own “go to” strategy on these types of issues. Here in Michigan it gets pretty cold and for me personally I use a battery tender with the quick disconnect on my John Deer lawn tractor, etc. I’ve never removed any of my batteries as it’s extra work, but if you have the time and extra energy and it gives you peace of mind do what works best for you.

I charge up and top off all of my batteries as that is the key to preserving them and will help eliminate a battery from freezing. I turn off the (on/off) battery switch to isolate the battery from the electrical system. Even when disconnected a battery will discharge some on its own sitting idle and this is a normal characteristic of any battery. I would recommend checking the battery voltage every 4-6 weeks and charge as needed.

As a side note I maintained a 4 battery solar bank in Arizona and it sat idle between spring and fall. When I returned it was still in good shape and the voltage was still above the 50% range (12.2-3 volts DC) on the wet cell system and without any problems. I also recall that my brother recommended that batteries not be placed on concrete and to place them on wood. This is a misnomer as batteries made today are built in plastic containers and as a result are not affected by earth contact as the plastic insulates and protects them from discharging through ground contact.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400