Electric Bikes

HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140
edited January 2022 in Products & Accessories

Thinking about getting a couple ebikes and would be interested in any recommendations or tips on what to look for/avoid. I can find lots of info on ebikes, but most of it is from people who want to sell me their bike, so practical experience from users/owners is what I'm seeking.

I envision riding around the campground, on bike trails (not "cross country"), neighborhood streets, and the like. Step-through and foldable seem like good ideas to me. Price matters, but I've always felt a product just needs to be "good enough", not necessarily "the best". I think I can get reasonable quality/utility for $1500 plus or minus, but am open to the experience of others.

Also, what about transporting the bikes? We have a 2014 T@G 5-wide towed with an Xterra or a Highlander. I could carry the bikes in the back of the tow vehicle, but at about 65 lbs wonder if that would be a problem lifting. I could let some air out of the tires and make the bikes lighter, but probably not by much. Or, do you add air to make a bike lighter...I'll figure it out.

Anyone have experience with such weights? Of course, how heavy is too heavy is pretty subjective.

https://lectricebikes.com/products/xp-step-thru-white?g_campaign=[G]+Smart+Shopping+-+Nonbrand&g_productchannel=online&g_adid=498702994030&g_keyword=&g_acctid=790-567-9445&g_keywordid=pla-1271803227788&g_adtype=&g_network=u&g_ifcreative=&g_adgroupid=123500581331&g_productid=028081085150&g_merchantid=129756959&g_partition=1271803227788&g_campaignid=12346339892&g_ifproduct=product&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlt_Qz_OY9QIVoffjBx3mkAAMEAQYASABEgIFI_D_BwE

Just for the record, I did do a search on the forum using "electric bike" and "ebike" without success.

2014 T@G

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 622

@HellFish - there is a fair amount of opinions over on the TaB forum. I know Verna has had several different ebikes.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/search?Search=electric+bikes

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• ahbradfordahbradford Member Posts: 14

Most e-bikes these days you can remove the battery for transport, which saves a bunch of weight.
    How were you planning on transporting these? Some sort of rack? Just FYI, for 2 ebikes, most car mounted racks won't hold that kind of weight, and many hitch mounted racks will be over the limit as well.

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@HellFish if you realy want to lignten the weight by playing with the air in the tire, I woukd suggest swaping with helium. And if a fat bike tires coukd probably hold even more of that gas! 🤔😉

• HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

I follow these two sisters. They pretty much live on the road in an RV. They just completed a review ofo their mini-step-thru ebikes. They have many vids about these bikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHFcl_D4x2Q

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 132

I've had my eye on those Lectric e-bikes for my future. They seem to have all the features I need including the fact that they fold. Several of the YouTube RVers that I follow swear by them.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140
    edited January 2022

Thanks to Sharon is Sam for the link, and to all for the info. So many good bikes with so many possible options, at so many different prices. Rather than agonize about the purchase, I ordered two Lectric bikes yesterday.

Thanks Luck J for the tip of using helium in the tires rather than more or less air in order to lighten the weight of the bikes...I had not considered that. I wonder if I could put enough helium in the bikes so they could float away if not tethered. Then, if I carried them on the T@G's tongue, could I decrease the tongue weight? I guess, even in the realm of the absurd, there are different ways to skin a cat. ;)

2014 T@G

• LandpaddlerLandpaddler Member Posts: 21

We have 2 M2S R750 e bikes. Really Fun to ride but tough to transport. We have been taking off the handle bars, front wheel and putting them in the Tag for now. Subaru is maxed out on tongue weight so I would like to put a rack on the back of the Tag but Nucamp said no to extra 150lbs.

2021 Tag XL Boondock
    Chevy Colorado ZR2
    Subaru Outback

• HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140

Although the weather is still not good here in Southern Illinois, we have ridden the bikes about 20 miles each so far. I like 'em, but they are heavy. Plan to transport them in our tow vehicle (Highlander or Xterra) in tubs. Two bikes in tubs take a LOT of space.

I put FlatOut in the tires and added a throttle thumb control (just a small piece of 3-d printed plastic)...otherwise still stock.

They go plenty fast, and accelerate quickly. Lectrick bike just came out with a lighter, less expensive model ($799) BTW. It's also less well equipped, but probably good enough for lots of recreational riders.

2014 T@G

• drsukiedrsukie Member Posts: 47

@Landpaddler said:
    We have 2 M2S R750 e bikes. Really Fun to ride but tough to transport. We have been taking off the handle bars, front wheel and putting them in the Tag for now. Subaru is maxed out on tongue weight so I would like to put a rack on the back of the Tag but Nucamp said no to extra 150lbs.

So glad to see this. I just bought an Aventon 500.2, 52 lbs, and was wondering about the weight on a bike mount, tongue or rear. I'll plan on doing somewhat the same, put it inside or in the back of my Ioniq 5.

Campers: Sue, Pippi, & ObiJuan TV: '23 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SE RWD EV... Playtoy: '20 T@G XL Boondock Edge... Home/THOW:1998 Fleetwood Bounder 32K

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I recently took my Lectric 3.0 bikes to Zion and the Grand Canyon. Had a great time and very little problems.
    Fold them up and place them into two totes. I then just slide them into the back of my RAV4. Enough room for my larger cooler, two camping crates and chairs, etc.
    I look forward on taking them future trips.