Options

T@G roof rack question

Quick question regarding a roof rack for a 2021 T@G Boondock.

I know the recommended Yakima roof rack for my T@G, however given the limited area on the roof the crossbars can be situated, isn't the 'track' system overkill?

Could you use artificial rain gutters (pictured).

Is there a frame that connects the roof and sides?

Anyone use these (or similar) on your T@G?

Comments

• Options
    zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 205

The track system allows for multiple attachment points into several roof cross-members and I'd think aids in weight distribution across those several components. I suppose you could do what you are suggesting, but where are the best locations in the walls to support the weight? Perhaps if you "sandwiched" and through-bolted with some plywood blocks....but I'm not going to be thrilled with how that might look, personally.

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• Options
    PugboyPugboy Member Posts: 8

Thanks Zgfiredude.

I guess I assumed the metal frame that runs along the top edge of the sides of the trailer and connect to the cross members (if there is one) would be the same frame tubing as the cross members and would be sturdy enough to support the weight as they do on the roof.

Thanks again.

• Options
    zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 205

It could be there, and likely is there, but exactly where is it and how does it connect to the cross members and the wall "studs"? I just don't know....I'm just saying that there is knowledge about where cross members are located and that they work....personally I just wouldn't want to risk it with such a new rig.

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

I know I've seen a string about the system pictured but it has been sometime ago. That appears to be a compression system so I would think that may lower the load capacity.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    PugboyPugboy Member Posts: 8

Thank you for the input.

I'll most likely go with the Yakima track but I've been pondering this for a while and just wanted to cover all the bases (and looking to drill as few holes as possible) as I know Little Guy used to use Pro Rack.

I think jzfiredude hit the nail on the head...without knowing exactly what (and where) lies under the skin you're taking a real risk of making a mess of it.