Options

Bungee cords as tie-down system

LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
edited December 2017 in Tips & Tricks

Hello to all

I am starting this as an information point. among all the things we need when we travel, we might need to use external space as in roof rack, tongue and roof basket, TV or trailer, wall mounted fixation system. Even inside vehicule and trailer object should be tied down, secured or isolated for security purpose. As I mentioned in an other post, I am a full time paramedic, and I do see and have to get inside vehicules in some occasion after an accident to secure a patient. And objects and debris can be a major source of injuries.

Any how, here is my point.

Bungee cords should never be used to tie down heavy items. They are not load rated (exception could be bungee cords used for bungee jumping ;) ). The hooks are also not load rated. Other point, is that they get bad real fast from sun dammage and over extension and if you are like me, it is really hard to hook them up so you get a very good tension on the object I want to secure.

An other observation, if you are looking for free bungee or rubber cord, just look on the roads you travel. Yep, we do see some strap tie-down with ratchet, but what we see in quantity are bungee and rubber cord and they are often snapped.

Bungee cord and such have their utilities. Tarp and net adusjtments, eleminate rattle of movement on bikes mounted on frame supported rack, soft bags in a basket, etc. But jerry cans, water cans, boxes, pelican casses and other similar items should be tie-down with ratchet straps witn appropriate load bearing.

A very quick search, gave me this. The fisrt one is an extract from a canadian government paper. It might be more related for truckers, but the potential danger are the same. Look at number 7.

The other is from a suplier.

Please, if you see bad tie-down behaviours within the people you know, informed them of the risk for them and others around them and wedge in place prety good is only as good as the force you will need to unwedge it. And if liquid, then it will react to hot and cold, changing the wedge holding force.

Comments are welcome.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2017

And here is what should be use to tie down a liquid can, at least the principles.

This one is my offroad trailer. You see a can in the front of my trailer on its back. Same rack principle with a nylon strap /steel buckle. The trailer will bounce all day on bad dirt road and even take a bad blow, and the cans will not move at all. It is easier to have them there than trying to hold them in llace in the trailer, even with tie down ratchet straps. I know, I have tried.

Be safe out there! :)

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

Good information and your points are valid Luc! I totally agree, when you tie things down make sure that the tie-downs are rated for the load. This is why the federal government here in the US requires over the road truckers to have a 4-point tie-down system for equipment and subsequent tie-down requirements for loads being hauled. As Luc noted, loads do shift upon impact and even during transport and securing them properly may be the difference between life and death.

I always make it a point to travel a few miles, then pull over and check the trailer, connections, etc. amd ensure that things haven't shifted or changed. A good safety inspection and visual of what you are transporting is important. This is why we sometimes read that a trailer has come off the hitch, safety chains have been damaged and electrical harnesses have been ground down because someone forgot to take the time to inspect things before hitting the road. We have all made these same types of mistakes and it never hurts to remind others and make a mental note to do a couple of walk arounds before taking off on a trip.

Thanks for sharing and taking the time to post up these reminders!

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

Does packing tight to the ceiling qualify as "tied down" ?? :s:|:o

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options

@BBsGarage Lol

I would say that yep, tetris loading can be considered good loading practice if it is within a close compartiment! Meaning it can not get reach the passenger or get out of the vehicule!

I need a roll on the floor smilley here! :)

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

This was your somewhat typical coming home from college pack up.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.