Options

2022 Tag heater

Debating between a 2022 or 2021 Tag, seems the new heater may be overkill? Opinions?

Comments

• Options
    Tag75605Tag75605 Member Posts: 40

I sure wish I had a heater, in my 2020 T@g Boondock Lite.

• Options
    poliverpoliver Member Posts: 31

We have the ceramic heater in our 2021 Tag XL and use it when needed. Very happy that we have it on those cold nights. Highly recommend the heater.

• Options
    LandpaddlerLandpaddler Member Posts: 21
    edited July 2022

Try out an electric blanket. They come in 12 V and work surprisingly well in that small space. Put one under the sheets to keep you warm all night.

2021 Tag XL Boondock
    Chevy Colorado ZR2
    Subaru Outback

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632
    edited July 2022

@Mlconner;
    A lot depends on where one intends to camp and where you live.
    Will your cold weather camping be hooked to shore power or off grid?

For me in San Diego, California, who does mostly warm camping, it would be overkill for sure.
    If I lived in Onekama, Michigan or Spooner, Wisconsin, maybe not.
    If I recall, when I lived in Michigan, it got cold.

In the desert it will get down below freezing.
    In the mountains, yes cold during the winter, but I typically do not do much camping in the mountains during the winter.

I have a 2018 5' wide standard T@G with no factory heater.
    I have used two different heaters.
    For remote camping without shore power, I have used a small "Buddy" Mr. Heater 4,000/9,000 BTU propane heater. Run it for about 20 minutes and that is all that is needed. (I always crack the windows and keep it on a hard surface)
    If on shore-power I have used an electric Honeywell 170/250-watt ceramic heater.
    Both I consider safe and do the job of heating just fine.
    Even when my electric ceramic heater is set at 170 watts, it does just fine to cut the chill.

• Options
    AZTagAZTag Member Posts: 11

The factory heater in our 2021, while simpler and fewer features than the 2022, provides WAY more heat than we have needed. Doesn't take much to heat a small space so it doesn't cycle on very often. Ambient temps during cooler camping have been 50s/day and upper 30s/night. Haven't camped in colder temps than that so far, but expect the heater would still be fine with overnight lows at 30 or so.

2021 T@G Boondock
    2022 4Runner TRD Off Road
    Tucson, AZ

• Options
    SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 133

I have never once wished for a heater in my 2015 T@G. I use a mummy sleeping bag when it's chilly.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• Options
    JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198
    edited July 2022

I use this in my SE XL and its enough to keep the edge off. I went with this one because it balances with my lithium ecoflow well and keeps moisture moving up and out.

https://akomapetproducts.com/product/hound-heater-classic/

And these bags are an exact fit for the XL, two side by side or zipped together

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-outfitter-xl-0-sleeping-bag

• Options
    CnCTaginCnCTagin Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2022

2021 tag xl

We only use the ceramic heater to take out chill. Then we turn it off. It is very hot. We removed the controller it was preventing operation. It wouldn’t come on. We couldn’t believe how it was set up. So now we just use enough to take out chill. We only run it when we are inside to monitor it. And we would never sleep with it on.

i noticed the 2022 and it takes up a lot of surface but is does it kick in and cut out properly?

• Options
    HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140

Be very careful with whatever heat source you decide on. If it's hot enough to warm you, it's hot enough to start a fire. Also, even though you want heat, you still need to ensure proper ventilation with outside air...even though that air may be cold. Don't mean to be "preachy", but adding heat inside a camper is one way to kill yourself if you don't get it right. We use a ceramic heater to warm things up, but turn it off when we sleep.

2014 T@G

• Options
    drsukiedrsukie Member Posts: 47

I bought this for my 2020 T@G on the advice of a friend who has one in their teardrop - haven't used it yet but I did try it out and it has plenty of clearance with my bed setup. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DCKFJLM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Campers: Sue, Pippi, & ObiJuan TV: '23 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SE RWD EV... Playtoy: '20 T@G XL Boondock Edge... Home/THOW:1998 Fleetwood Bounder 32K

• Options
    drsukiedrsukie Member Posts: 47

Campers: Sue, Pippi, & ObiJuan TV: '23 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SE RWD EV... Playtoy: '20 T@G XL Boondock Edge... Home/THOW:1998 Fleetwood Bounder 32K