Options

Will I have trouble with sway if I use a trailer extension?

UbikwityUbikwity Member Posts: 6
edited July 2022 in Trailers & Towing

New T@G and new forum owner here! I'm sooo excited that I've finally have what I'd been wishing for for so long!

I'm going to tow a 2022 T@G Boondock XL with a 2017 Kia Sorento SXL. The previous owner added an extra propane tank and battery, and housing those items is a long container on the front (sorry I don't know the lingo yet for the chest that holds the battery and tank). The size of the container makes it more difficult to back up; in fact, while trying to back the T@G into my driveway the driver's side tail light smashed into the box, denting the box and braking the tail light. Previous owner told me that a hitch extension would make backing up easier, so I bought one (which is being installed today, along with an electric brake controller). The guy at the trailer service place cautioned me against using the extension as it would add more sway as I was traveling.

So, I'd love your thoughts on using an extension to help backing into my driveway easier vs any sway this would add while driving.

Thank you :-)

2022 T@G Boondock XL
TV- 2017 Kia Sorento SXL.

Comments

• Options
    zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 205

Are you using an extension from the hitch, or are you extending the tongue of the trailer?

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• Options
    rasras Member Posts: 173

yes

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• Options
    UbikwityUbikwity Member Posts: 6

@zgfiredude - the extension is on the hitch. I'm having difficulty backing the trailer in to my slightly curved driveway. I just can't get the angle right, always too acute if an angle. The previous owner had same problem, suggested an extension (which is what seemed to work for him, similar driveway). Totally new to this and getting pretty discouraged. I hate parking my T@G on the street.

2022 T@G Boondock XL
    TV- 2017 Kia Sorento SXL.

• Options
    zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 205

Here are my thoughts, you can take them however you wish. It sounds a bit like your primary issue is getting it in your driveway more so than regular towing issues. Keep in mind that any available movement in the trailer to vehicle connection will magnify at speed.

I would do two things. 1. Practice backing. Go to a large abandoned parking lot and practice. There is an angle that the trailer/vehicle will ''hold" and when you cross over that line, it becomes difficult to impossible to recover from. Once you learn where that point is, you'll be much better at managing the result. Every car/trailer combo is a bit different because of wheelbase differences. I once had a boat that I parked next to our garage, but had to "wiggle" it into the space around a tree in front of the gate opening........fun, but I got really good at it.

1. Perhaps the extension would be helpful for parking, but I really would hesitate to use it for more than that. The length of that extension creates a much longer lever and multiplies issues with weight, movement, etc. So, if needed, use the extension for parking the trailer only. It will effectively lengthen the wheelbase of the trailer and make the backing angles different.

But, I believe that if you practice and take note of the vehicle/trailer positioning and angles that work/don't work you will be able to figure it out. Good Luck.

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 633

You may want to consider a trailer dolly.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator