Best solar

Hi,
I'm sure this question's been asked before, but can't find any on the forum.
I have a 2022 T@G XL. I can't use AC or microwave (or refrigerator) without a generator. I sure don't want any noise so want to go solar. My dealer suggested a Southwire Corps 03-3301. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this or if you have other suggestions. Thanks!

Comments

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632
    edited July 2022

Powering your AC or microwave will be a vast challenge using a 12-volt power source.
    Powering your AC is possible using solar, but it involves a lot more than just panels themselves. It will take some math calculations, a good sum of money, space for the equipment and ongoing effort to assure you are harvesting enough solar to fit your needs.

My suggestion is holding off on the dream of powering your AC and microwave with solar. Do more research and obtain additional information from sources other than your dealer.

» I would never consider powering my AC using my current 100Ah lithium battery system with 100-watt solar panel system.

If you find yourself still moving in the direction of powering all of your accessories using battery/solar power, then ...
    Needs would start and include: money, time, batteries, inverter, solar panels, solar controller, battery monitoring system.

The math starts with calculating your power needs.
    I own a 2018 T@G.
    My typical power draws are:
    Danby AC, Fan-Tastic Vent Fan, Norcold Refrigerator/Freezer, SURflo water pump, Jensen Television, Jensen Audio Sysem, LED lights, ...
    I have measured the draw of each using a Poniie electricity usage monitor.
    My current system includes a 100Ah lithium iron phosphate battery and 100 watt solar panel suitcase.

With your 2022 system you may have different equipment brands. Do not know if you have any audio/visual equipment.
    You do have the addition of a microwave, which I would guess is your biggest power draw.
    If you do not have a refrigerator/freezer, I would encourage adding that addition.

I would love to learn if you are able to effectively meet your needs using solar.
    My prediction is that you will find the challenge of powering your AC and microwave using solar an impossible/unreasonable task with a 2022 T@G setup.

Best of luck.

• JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198

Ecoflow and a bank of panels, small and easy

• rasras Member Posts: 173

Listen to James Dow and search the site for similar threads. Unless you have more money than sense, you'll buy a quiet generator. And there's a reason he calls himself JohnnyLoco...

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• carol0454carol0454 Member Posts: 4

James, thanks for your time on this! What if I just want to use the heater, which I currently can't?

• HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140
    edited July 2022

As a general rule, you cannot heat or cool using 12 volts. Cooling and heating take too much power. UNLESS you are willing to buy several batteries, maybe even lithium batteries, and lots of solar panels to keep up with your power draw, you can't keep up with the power requirements of heating and cooling. It's not impossible, but boy will you spend some money and end up with hundreds of pounds of batteries. It's a great idea (dream) to be off grid and able to heat and cool and light your T@G with batteries/solar. However, without significant gyrations, you can't do it. (Generally...)

BTW, a few years ago I wouldn't have even included the word "generally". I'd have just said you can't do it. However, as lithium batteries have become more available and their prices decreased until they are merely wildly expensive, and as solar options are plentiful and less wildly expensive, now the idea of heating and cooling with solar/batteries is almost within reach. In my opinion, I'd still say ALMOST. Others may disagree, and hopefully they'll offer you a reasonable solution (money and weight reasonable). Good luck. If you are able to crack this nut, post how you did it...most of us would love to replicate a successful solution.

2014 T@G

• JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198
    edited August 2022

@ras said:
    Listen to James Dow and search the site for similar threads. Unless you have more money than sense, you'll buy a quiet generator. And there's a reason he calls himself JohnnyLoco...

I earned the name “Johnnyloco”…Thanks

I use an Alps propane generator and/or Ecoflow stuff because its makes “sense”.

Learn something !

• zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 205

We have been quite comfortable utilizing heated sleeping bag liners. They run off small lithium battery bricks like you use for backup cell phone charging. We typically use regular bed linens most of the year, but will shift to sleeping bags once it get to freezing or below. We used the heater once when hooked to shore power and found it to be a bit much really, and once we ran it off the generator for 20 minutes prior to turning in for the night which worked pretty well. We prefer it to be chilly when we sleep.

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• MrGGBrownMrGGBrown Member Posts: 42

We use an electric blanket (judiciously) when it gets real cold, running off an 1100 watt inverter connected to our 105Ah LiFePo battery. With good sun during the day, we've been able to fully charge back up using a 100W Renogy suitcase. It can use a lot of battery. The first night we tried it, we had both sides of the queen blanket on high for much of the night and used the full battery capacity.

Greg Brown
    Bellevue, WA
    2016 PVTT T@G