Options

T@G AC window mount

The T@G AC design is poor...we all know this...no need to go into it here (again).

I once saw a picture of an AC unit permanently mounted in the T@G window. The guy had plywood inside and out of the window, presumable screwed through the side wall, with an AC unit mounted to the plywood. I can't go this far...the esthetics are just more than I can take. (But I bet it works just fine.)

I've been thinking about a temporary window mount install so the AC can work as it was designed...front in the cool area, back in the great outdoors. Given the relatively fragile nature of the side walls and window frame, I don't think I want to "hang" the AC from the T@G window. Rather, a removable plywood "plug" on the inside of the window and a wooden platform with leg to the ground on the outside supporting the AC weight. Of course I'd have to lift up or remove the window plexiglass each time I installed the AC.

I'd carry the AC in the tow vehicle and pull it out when needed. I did a similar thing with a '72 Eagle tent popup years ago, and boy did it cool!

This is not an elegant solution to the T@G's poor cooling design...more a resigned approach to either giving up on efficient cooling, or finally fixing the root cause of the problem. BTW, I've looked for a smaller AC unit (5,000 BTU is much more than the space calls for), but 5,000 BTU seems to be the smallest size available.

So, have any of you done such a thing? Any ideas?

Again, we don't need to go into the many venting work-arounds folks have tried over the years (including me)...we've plowed this ground more than once already.

2014 T@G

Comments