Options

First Night in Our T@G

GulfCoastGulfCoast Member Posts: 76
edited February 2023 in Camping & Travel

We finally had a gap in the rain and took our "new" 2017 T@G out for an overnight shakedown to Shepard State Park, about 20 miles away. We scorned the 30-A hookup and ran exclusively on the new 100AH LiFePo battery. We tried out all the features and everything went extraordinarily well, other than one side windows separating from the hinge.

In 30 hours, we used 20% of the battery capacity. That included pulling down a warm fridge and holding 38F, generous use of the interior and exterior lights, and a long movie.

We added a few items to the to-do list, primarily gas shocks to go with the hidden hinges we had installed on the basement doors. I was astonished at how annoying that tiny blue light on the television could be in the dark. Galley and cabin organization seem to be the next challenges.

We were so pleased with the Kelty Backroads Shelter connected to the starboard side that we ordered another during Amazon's Monday sale to use over the galley. Mosquitos and gnats are big problems in this part of the country, so on the next trip, we'll be trying out the screen room we've used for barrier island camping.

Shepard State Park is the quietest campground we've ever visited. The campsites are widely spaced and the restrooms and showers were spotless and convenient. There are about eight miles of walking trails, an extensive archery range with 30 stations, a rambling, wooded disc golf course, and a long boardwalk over the saltmarsh. $13/night after the $5 old folks discount.

The information we found on this forum had allowed us to sort out a lot of details and improvements before we even left the driveway. Thanks to all.

Comments

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Looks like a good first trip!

Below are my choices to kill Jensen TV blue light & save some power.

Keep bugs away & also have a privacy room.

I love old-folks discounts for camping. Use my Senior Pass for National Parks and Recreation Lands a lot.

• Options

I appreciate the suggestions. Both those items were on our list of interesting things on Amazon.

I didn't think the blue light was an issue until I woke at about 3:00 with my retinas wide open. The folks down the road at the campground had a 6x6 Clam tent and I was impressed with how sturdy it looked. Your endorsement tipped the scales. Both are arriving on Tuesday.

I was reminded of how essential bug shelter is when I was repairing a side window that separated from the hinge this afternoon. The temperature was about 70 F and the gnats were out celebrating and feasting.

Incidentally, I found that the window repair was straightforward and quick with two-sided automotive tape. I'll keep the rest of the roll in the T@G for when the other windows disconnect.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B002JOVUO0

• Options

If anyone is considering a 6x6 Clam Traveler, be aware that the green tents have no rain flap on the roof. So, water from the roof is channeled to the back side of the wind flaps, where it will run through the screen and into the tent. The brown and gray models were added later and have rain flaps integrated into the roof.

I'm impressed with the design and construction quality of the Clam tent. They seem to be a good option for rain, wind, insect, and sun protection.

I'm returning the green one and have ordered a gray one. The ebay vendor I dealt with is a good one. Their prices are better than other vendors, they accept returns, and they have open-box and used items. For example, here's a used grey 6x6.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295189886312

• Options
    rich67rich67 Member Posts: 165

I had the same issue with my windows. The Tag is in the shop getting both side windows replaced currently. Wasn't cheap, either.I love my LiFePo battery. We managed to get a solid 5 days off the grid with full sun, running the lights sparingly, watching some TV a couple times, and ruining the fridge at around 34.The solar panels did great charging everything and topping it off, but for some reason every fifth day we just ran out of juice. Even running the generator to recharge didn't do all the much, and we would maybe get another 1/2 day out of it.

• Options

I was able to repair my window using two-sided 3M automotive trim tape. It was quick and easy job - 20 minutes and $7 for the tape. If the shop hasn't started on the window replacement, you might want to try repairing them yourself. It's essentially just a matter of cleaning the slot in the window and the plastic rod in the upper hinge with isopropyl alcohol , cutting a strip of tape and pressing the tape in place and latching the window to let the adhesive set up.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B002JOVUO0

I'm curious about your battery issue. Were you finally able to get the battery charged?