Options

T@G Refit, couple of Q's (Bed size, AC Fan, Norcold/Battery)

almondealmonde Member Posts: 15
edited January 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades

Unfortunately our 2016 T@G got flooded during hurricane Harvey, it wasn't too bad actually, but I have removed the bed frame, and the vinyl flooring etc to let the camper dry as much as possible. This weekend I went back to refit it. I'm pleased with the result, no smell, no staining, no mold. I treated everywhere in the camper with mold killer etc as soon as could.

I have a couple of questions:

unless someone else has any better mattress solutions? (as a reminder I don't have the original, so adding 2" toppers etc as is often discussed here wont work ;) )

• Does the 12v 80mm AC fan push hot air downwards or suck cold air upwards? (I assume the later) I need to replace the fan, good chance to upgrade it anyway.

• My battery is toast, i had disconnected it, but it clearly shorted between the terminals (now reading < 1v). It was a dual purpose Marine battery supplied by the dealer anyway. Anyone here find upgrading to a quality deep cycle AGM made any difference with the Norcold not tripping out even when the battery is well charged? Anyone using a proper flooded deep cycle (non starting battery) and getting OK results with the Norcold? Or is the consensus that running a wire directly to the Norcold is still the best way?

Regards,
Alex

Comments

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

The fan in ours will blow in or out. There is a switch to run it either way.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options

Hi BBsGarage, thanks for your reply, just be clear I am talking about the fan that cools the AC plenum space, not the fantastic vent in the roof.

• Options
    BobRBobR Member Posts: 17

@almonde said:
    Hi BBsGarage, thanks for your reply, just be clear I am talking about the fan that cools the AC plenum space, not the fantastic vent in the roof.

I believe that AC plenum fan blows hot air out the bottom, the vents on the trailer sidewalls are air intakes.

Bob Richert
    2018 T@G Outback
    2017 Jeep Rubicon
    Ranger the Golden Retriever

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@BobR said:

@almonde said:

I believe that AC plenum fan blows hot air out the bottom, the vents on the trailer sidewalls are air intakes.

@almonde, this is also my belief and what I remember.

Did you remove the under lining of your T@G?

• Options

I took part of the underlining off to check, but it actually didn’t seem worth removing the lot. Once you go that far you’re close to removing the body from the chassis and since I no longer have a garage, basically rebuilding the trailer to that degree was not viable inside a storage locker. Just doing the interior was bad enough. Also the trailer wasn’t chicken feed, but isn’t $50k airstream either. I left the interior stripped out and bare for about 2 months to ensure it was as dry as possible before installing new vinyl flooring etc.

• Options
    HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140
    edited January 2018

I upgraded to group 27 115 AH marine battery and Norcold still kept having voltage issues and would "error out" and stop cooling (even on shore power or while towing, BTW). Once I wired the Norcold directly to the battery as per instructions you can find somewhere (after companies split I am not sure which forum has what info anymore) it works reliably (as it should have from the get go).

2014 T@G

• Options

Thanks @HellFish, I'll stick with a flooded group 24 in that case. Although I'll go for the true deep cycle rather than a marine battery since they are the same price at my local Batteries + Bulbs. Seems like running some 10AWG is my future

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@almonde ,mtyank you. Reason I am asking this, is cause In the future, I think I would remove it and use bedliner the protect the floor. Think it could be better than the kind of tarp material that is there.

As for the frig wires, I pretty sure I will do the same when warmer temps come back up here. So probably mid april to mid may! :)

• Options

@LuckyJ, bedliner seems like a really good idea for the underside!

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

One thing you might consider along with running a dedicated feed line from the Norcold to the battery is to think about purchasing two 6-volt golf cart batteries and using them to power up your trailer. Costco sells the Interstate 210 amp hour 6-volt batteries for around $78 and the core fee. Wire them up together and you will have power to spare.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    LightningdonLightningdon Member Posts: 110

My thoughts similar to your's Mike. I have the dual 6V golf cart batteries currently in my T@G. I still have the factory original 12 V battery. I was thinking of running a line from the fridge to a set of battery clips so I can hook up to the single 12 V battery. I am installing a solar panel as soon as the weather breaks, so may really not need the third battery.