Options

Ideas to manage trailer and tongue weight

Looks like my generator discussion got hijacked into a weight discussion so I thought I would start one just about weight which is a major concern for me. I tow with a MINI Cooper S convertible by choice. I could tow with our Sport Trac, from other folks discussions about TVs, I think that could be the ideal TV, but we wanted a T@G for all the MINI events we attend. The MINI pulls the T@G Max without difficulty, I believe the supercharger, sport suspension and bigger brakes help with that. Just in case, I added trailer brakes and a controller from etrailer for when I might need them. Our MINI is rated by the factory at 1500 lbs towing capacity so I always watch our payload and where we carry it. So, I would like to entertain any and all ideas you folks have on how and where to safely yet conveniently save a few pounds, for me, every little bit helps! I will go first with a mod you might be interested in.

Comments

• Options
    tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

Propane tank delete - I have replaced the 20 lb tank on the tongue with a 1 lb tank under the stove. A full 20 lb tank can weigh 37 lbs and will keep both burners going on high for 40 hours of cooking, tried to figure how many trips that would cover but couldn't even imagine. A 1 lb cylinder should keep both burners on high for two hours. So, I went on Amazon and bought bottle regulator with a 2 ft hose, a 1 lb cylinder adapter, an adapter that will let me refill 1 lb cylinders from a 20 lb tank, and a cylinder base. Unscrewed the stock line from the regulator on the stove and screwed the new on on, checked for leaks, and lit it up. Works great! I will let you know if the two hour estimate is correct and plan to remove the stock propane system at that time as well. I plan to carry as many 1 lb tanks as I might need for each trip, also bought some brass caps for the small tanks for some added peace of mind against leaks.

• Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 12

they also sell this.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001690CB6/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IIHIFWYP9YVOS&colid=2AWN1DBE6936J&psc=1

it allows for 2 1lbs bottles giving you more power.

change the battery to a lithium deep cycle. that will save you about half.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

On the weight saving, You can not go wrong. And you are covering the worries I have with refulling these about the possible leaks, with the safety caps!

• Options
    1Crow_1Magpie1Crow_1Magpie Member Posts: 6

You already have a great start. We also removed the LP tank that came with our 2015 t@g and cut 38 lbs (fully filled) and saved another 13 lbs by going with a lighter deep cycle 12V battery. (Which allowed us to add our generator).

Quick and simple Ideas:

Water storage - One easy way to save weight is to plan ahead and fill your water tank close to or at your destination. We only carry two gallons of the 11 while towing.

• Clothing/supplies - Plan ahead/Watch weather reports. Only take what is needed.

• Pots/pans (Can be heavier items)

• Reading material/books - Electronic books are very light and easy to pack. 😊

• Options

ok, i'm back, had to leave for a 911 call.

Did you think about the 5 lbs propane bottle? Not as heavy as a 20 pounder, not as big, cheap to fill up and should last many trips.

Other opinion, is that I would leave the propane kit in place. Of keep it, just in casse you sell your trailer later.

• Options
    almondealmonde Member Posts: 15

I have a 5 lb bottle for the Little Red Campfire, its a good size. Doesn't suffer from freezing up under high output like a 1lb bottle does (although not an issue for a 2 burner grill). The guys at UHaul always mock me for how 'cute' it is when i go to fill it up though. :s

• Options