Options

Increase Solar Output by 60% using Renogy 100-Watt Solar Suitcase

I finally got around to making modifications to my Renogy solar Suitcase (folding solar panel).
I also already had a 60-watt Bluerise solar panel and a 50-watt Renogy E.Flex solar panel.
I toyed around with maybe purchasing another 100-watt suitcase with controller (currently $159.99) or a MPPT controller (EPEVER Tracer 7810BP $139.99), but I thought go with what you have first and see the results.
So today I added MC4 connectors to the solar input side of the Renogy solar suitcase (Voyager 20A PWM controller).
I then added a branch connector, so I could add up to two additional solar panels.
I quickly set up the solar suitcase and measured the output, and then added my 60-watt solar panel.
Low in behold adding a 60-watt solar panel to my 100-watt solar suitcase increased my output by 60%.
Without fooling with any placement panel adjustments (this was just a quick test), at 3:00PM I was pushing 13.5 volts and increased from 2.8 Amps to 4.5 Amps by adding my 60-watt solar panel.
4.5 Amps is not great output, but it proved to me that I could easily add to my current setup at a modest cost using items I already had.
I have an upcoming trip to Zion, Grand Canyon, Sedona, so I will give it a real-world test then.

Adding another Renogy solar suitcase would have provided backup redundancy and/or adding a MPPT controller would have likely provided increased output especially on cloudy days, but both options were extra weight and included potential problems with travel placement or mounting.
▀▀ Bottom line by just adding four MC4 connectors, this was an easy modification to increase solar capabilities.