Options

New battery, dead after 6 hours of fan usage.

JoPaGeRi_79JoPaGeRi_79 Member Posts: 6

So I got a brand new battery and went on a trip. Had a voltage meter to keep an eye on it (plugged into the DC outlet int the "kitchen" Ran the ceiling exhaust fan only (no lights anywhere) and it the battery was dead after 6-hours. My thought is that the battery should've come completely charged, bad on me for not checking. My thought is that is also should've charged from the tow vehicle.
So options are something is draining the battery, (could I have it hooked up wrong?).

Any other thoughts, suggestions? I am going to hook a trickle charge to it tonight, or should I just plug the camper in and try to charge it that way?

Note: It is a 2020 T@G XL, comes with the Yeti cooler, so no fridge. I also disconnected the television a while back, because I never use it. All fuses in the camper seem to be fine).

Comments

• Options
    GulfCoastGulfCoast Member Posts: 76

What type and capacity is the battery? What was the initial voltage reading?

You can't count on a new battery being fully charged. Are you sure that your tow vehicle is wired to charge the trailer battery? Many are not.

• Options
    JoPaGeRi_79JoPaGeRi_79 Member Posts: 6

Battery was purchased as 24DC, 600CCA... I didn't test it upon purchasing.

And re: TV - Guess I also took that for granted, I have an 07 GMC Sierra with the 7-pin connector and trailer break...Looks like i got some checking to do....

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636

Is it a deep cycle battery? Check the Amp hr rating at 20 hrs. That will tell you your battery capacity when fully charged. Then, with the fan, remember, the higher the fan speed, the more AHrs draw, and the less time till you drain the battery. Also, if you have the galley hatch open, it will draw down your battery.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632
    edited July 2023

A battery with 600 CCA rating does not sound like a deep cycle battery. To me, it sounds like an automobile battery.
    An automobile battery is not an optimal battery to use in a RV.

I would not assume a new battery is fully charged.
    It may have been sitting on a shelf for some time and slowly discharging. (5% discharge per month)
    I would not use a trickle charger to charge up a battery. Trickle charging normally only charges at a rate around equal to the self-discharge rate of a battery. (a very low current).
    Just plugging in the camper is a good option.
    Best would be a separate battery charger.
    Occasionally, as needed, I charge my Lithium battery using the same T@G trailer SAE input as my solar uses. Very convenient.
       F.Y.I.
    I rarely use my overhead fan for an extended period due to the power draw from it.
    My test of my 2018 Fan-Tastic Vent Fan indicated the following continuous wattage usage:
    Low = 26.2
    Med = 34.3
    High = 52.2

In comparison my Norcold NRF-30 uses around 47.4 watts when it is running a cycle.
    Best of luck getting things working to your satisfaction.

• Options
    rasras Member Posts: 174

Typo? if it is a 24 V battery, the onboard charger and any 12 V battery charger will only charge to 13+ volts. I'd expect it to go flat quickly. Get a 12 V deep cycle battery.

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• Options
    GulfCoastGulfCoast Member Posts: 76

I think that's a Group 24 (common size for these applications) 12-volt battery, not a 24-volt battery.

• Options
    JimJJimJ Member Posts: 3

the volt meter also consumes power. So remember that.