Options

Additional High Mounted Marker/Turn Signal Lights

The T@G comes just with the three high mounted marker lights. I wanted high mounted brake and turn signals rather than marker lights. I called Elsie at Pleasant Valley and got 4 of the new T@G clearance lights to match the 3 lights already mounted above the galley hatch. Under $5 each. The only other place I could find online wanted $14 each.

Installed the additional marker lights. Wires are run down through the plenum area behind the AC unit. Wired up with suitcase connectors. I wired the 2 outside lights as turn signals and the others as brake lights.

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Nice, very nice.

Have you been able to hide all the wiring, and how hard was it to pass all the wires behing the plennum and reach the space?

• Options
    LightningdonLightningdon Member Posts: 110

I pulled out the panel that the TV is mounted to and got into the plenum area. You will have to pull the access panels out of each cupboard as well. This will give you access to run the wires from the turn signals over to the plenum area. There are fans mounted in each side as well that I had to remove. It was all pretty simple to do. Once you have all the lights wired, run them down thru the plenum and out the intake vent located in the floor of the camper. I installed a Tekonsha RV tail light converter under the camper. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GKQZQG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Then you need to run back and tie into the wiring to the appropriate lights.

• Options

@Lightningdon thank you. i also saw the pics of the TV panel, and got it right away in my head.

Good job!

• Options
    LightningdonLightningdon Member Posts: 110

Unfortunately I didn't document my final wiring. After wiring the Tekonsha converter, I spent a bit of time testing my factory wires to get tied in right. I remember the wiring colors were a mishmash. If I were to have to do this mod again, I would solder feeder wires to the turn signal lights and feed them thru the shell and across the plenum area. I did have trouble making all my connections thru the small holes in the backs of the interior cabinets.

• Options

@Lightningdon Don't worry about it, for me anyway, since the only question I had was how to bring electrical and have acces to the high location.

I'm good with what you have showed. :)

• Options
    WilliWilli Member Posts: 22

Nice work! I am always worried about the low mounted lights not being visible enough. Looks as though you’ve solved that problem. Well done

Fort Myers FL.
    2015 T@G Max

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

@Lightningdon said:
    Unfortunately I didn't document my final wiring. After wiring the Tekonsha converter, I spent a bit of time testing my factory wires to get tied in right. I remember the wiring colors were a mishmash. If I were to have to do this mod again, I would solder feeder wires to the turn signal lights and feed them thru the shell and across the plenum area. I did have trouble making all my connections thru the small holes in the backs of the interior cabinets.

Nicely done! I think this is yet another design that I'll shamelessly reappropriate! As to wiring in awkward spaces; connect an extra length of both the ground and hot wire to the lights, feed the wire through the holes and hook it into the vehicle harness where it is more accessable. As an old Army mechanic, I used to solder all of my connections, then discovered these guys:
    https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Connector-Solderless-Waterproof-automotive/dp/B078P6J5WR/ref=asc_df_B078P6J5WR/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241990977571&hvpos=1o9&hvnetw=g&hvrand=243317693634193310&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019309&hvtargid=pla-448821295320&psc=1
    I've wired dozens of harnesses in both onroad and offroad cars and trailers using them and have never had a failure. In addition to crimping them to the wire, when you heat them they shrink and also release a glue that bonds the coating to the wire and insulation leaving no airspace within the connector. To heat them, I simply use a bic lighter. You can watch the glue migrate inside the connector as they heat up. The finished connections are quite compact and as strong as the wire. Pink for 20-14 gauge, blue for 14-12 gauge and white for 10-8 gauge. You can also piggyback 2 or three wires into a single connector and it will seal.
    They can be had just about anywhere and are stupidly expensive unless you buy them in bulk. A pack of 7 is $6 bucks but a pack of 50 is $20 or so. Next to Starburst fruit chews, It's my most common reason for a parts run....
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

Nice work and it will add more visibility and safety to your trailer. Thanks for sharing!

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400