Options

Dual 6 Volt Golf Cart Battery Upgrade

So I converted my rig from the single 12 v battery to a dual 6V battery set-up. I picked up 2 Duracell 230AH batteries from Batteries and Bulbs for $98 each. This conversion is quick and easy, maybe 1 hour.

First photo shows the stock T@G tub once battery and 20lb propane tank are removed. Notice there is a spot for a battery under the tank mount. Next I used a grinder to cut loose the tank bracket.

Here you see the tank bracket removed. Touched up the cuts with paint to prevent rust.

Here both batteries are set in place and wiring done. Yea, I will restrap the right side battery. I drilled 4 holes in the bottom of each battery box. I did not use the lids as the boxes sit too far to the rear and the lids hit the camper.

Here is the propane tank adapter installed. This will allow me to use 1lb throwaway canisters rather than the 20lb tank.

Here you can see the 1lb tank installed and sitting pretty between the batteries. Oh...the battery slot on the left was a little larger than the one on the right so I just used a piece of 3/4" pine to hold the battery box to the outside to clear the gas pressure regulator.

I may eventually reconfigure to allow placement of a slim 5lb tank. Will probably need to move the batteries outboard and rearward a bit. The slim 5lb tank is 9" diameter, so will be a tight fit. May even need to eliminate the battery boxes.

Comments