Options

Vacation (Zion/Grand Canyon) █ Miles Per Gallon Spreadsheet

JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632
edited September 2023 in Trailers & Towing

Just got back from a short vacation to St George, Zion, Grand Canyon and Phoenix.
Had a great trip. Rode over 35 miles on our Lectric 3.0 bikes.
Hookups in Zion right next to the Virgin River (5 nights), Dry camping at Desert View Grand Canyon (3 Nights).
Had some rain in Zion and some cold nights at the Grand Canyon.
Great time of year to go.

For the fun of it, I put together a simple Excel spreadsheet to capture towing gas mileage.
The only required cells to calculate Miles Per Gallon (MPG) are "Mileage" and "Gallons Fuel".
My typical tracking method is to take photos of vehicle odometer and gas pump screen at each fill-up stop.
If complete information is inputted, then totals and averages of Miles, Cost Per Gallon, Total Fuel Cost, Total Fuel Used is calculated.
Total miles=1,380
Average cost for gas = $5.16 (91 Octane)
Fuel cost=$382
Fuel Used=73 gallons
Combined trip MPG= 18.88

The spreadsheet is attached as a file and an example photo.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636

Lucky you! I need to get back to Zion. Looks like a prime time to camp.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    LandpaddlerLandpaddler Member Posts: 21

Beautiful trip! We love it down there also. One time I saw a blue heron fishing. I noticed you were using higher octane fuel on your trip. Why is that?

2021 Tag XL Boondock
    Chevy Colorado ZR2
    Subaru Outback

• Options
    edited September 2023

@Landpaddler asked why I used higher octane gas.
    It may be because I like to support the profits of large oil companies.
    Or
    I am just old school and live in the day before cars had computers and Engine Control Modules.

In reality it is $30 dollars extra insurance (extra fuel cost) to help protect my 14 year-old RAV4 with a small naturally aspirated engine.
    When I travel in extreme high temperature climates involving high (+6,500) and low (-0) elevations changes, with the lack of ability to assure I am running top tier detergent gasoline, I often run higher octane fuel.
    The higher-octane gas "may" slightly improve performance and lower emissions during hot weather and high demand towing.
    Traveling uphill, my vehicle will drop down gears and run at around 4,800 RPM for 10-20 seconds at a time.
    I have not experienced audible engine pinging or knocking or overheating with any octane fuel.
    Bottom line it is extra expense that is not needed, but -
    Normally I run 87 octane gas.

• Options
    shelleymcc64shelleymcc64 Member Posts: 4

Where do your e-bikes go while you are in transit?

• Options
    edited September 2023

@shelleymcc64 asked where our e-bikes go during transit - 
    Both of our Lectric 3.0 bikes are folded and put into tote boxes which I purchased from Home Depot.
    Both fit into my RAV4 with additional space for coolers and other vacation boxes.
    The tote boxes have wheels for ease of movement.
    Tote boxes also hold helmets, tools, chargers and other bike related items.
    All worked out well for our trip.
    The totes (Husky 1005 255 712) are a near match for the bikes at a cost me about $36 each.
    I think the price now is around $50 each.

• Options
    toadzurgtoadzurg Member Posts: 14

What MPG do you normally get without the trailer in tow?

2018 T@G XL

• Options

@toadzurg asked what my normal miles per gallon is without towing.

Given same highyway travel, my MPG is around 25-26. Can't say apples for apples since my towing speed is normally slower (62-65). My car does not get great MPG, partially since it is 4WD.

I have a new 2023 KIA Sportage plug-in hybrid AWD, which I just installed hitch and wire harness. Should be interesting to find out the towing MPG with it.