Options

Easy Lube is not just a bearing buddy.

rasras Member Posts: 174
edited October 2023 in T@G & Factory Comments

I've put about 6000 miles on our 2016 TAG5W since we bought it in the spring of 2021 and decided it was time to service the wheel bearings before winter storage. I was assured by previous owner that it had just been serviced when we bought it. I'd been monitoring hub temperature with an infrared thermometer at each fuel stop and hadn't seen any appreciable changes in temperature but it was still time to take a look. Since there are plenty of videos on youtube, I'm gonna skip the procedure except to note that the hardest part was getting the end cap off and that the nut is held in place by a nut shaped clip rather than a cotter key. Once I had the hub off, I examined the shaft and noticed that the hole in the shaft at the inside bearing at the end of the shaft. I used my grease gun to add a small amount of grease and as you can see in the photo, grease came out of that rear hole. Rotating the wheel while applying grease into the shaft feeds grease into the rear wheel bearing, into the hub and from the hub into the front bearing and out to the floor. Is it more effective than disassembly and hand-packing? Probably not. But the EZ Lube definitely provides new grease to both of the bearings if you persist. A careful inspection of the bearings and race showed no appreciable wear

so all I needed was bearing seals and a new end cap (Remember, I said that was the hardest part of the process). Decided to hit my local Northern Tool where I found all the parts I needed to replace any part of the wheel bearing system. I included the part numbers for informational purposes .

RV 2016 T@G 5W
TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner