Options

Next Upgrade: Awnings & Blackout Cushions

The_RiggerThe_Rigger Member Posts: 111
edited November 2023 in Modifications & Upgrades

Today I received a set of awnings I comissioned from an Etsy crafter I'm sure some of you know of; a nice lady in Tulsa named Jan who runs an operation called ShadeOutdoorz. She does all sorts of awning packages for T@Gs and T@Bs, and does first-class work.

When I first picked up Wanderlust back in June, I had paid a local tailor here in my town to cut down a set of king-sized sheets to fit the T@G mattresses. This month I had her use the scraps left over from that job to cover a pair of 12" x 2" foam rubber discs I found on Amazon to make a pair of throw pillows that do double duty for blacking out the round windows in the T@G doors for sleeping (I like it DARK when I go to sleep). I suppose I could've probably just used the uncovered foam rubber for blacking out the portals, but these look a lot classier, and match the rest of the "upholstery" in the camper.

Dave in Michigan
'21 T@G XL
"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

Comments

• Options
    drsukiedrsukie Member Posts: 47

Nice! I commissioned a well-known person in the Nucamp community to do the awnings - it took me 6 months to get them. So I will not promote her. And I paid upfront. You did a smarter thing.

I also sewed up some foam covers for window inserts. Another trick - if the cover on yours is removable for washing ( I made mine removeable), add a disk of Reflectix to the side that will face exterior.

Campers: Sue, Pippi, & ObiJuan TV: '23 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SE RWD EV... Playtoy: '20 T@G XL Boondock Edge... Home/THOW:1998 Fleetwood Bounder 32K

• Options

I also slipped some Reflectix into my window plugs. The slipcovers were sewn with zippers along one of the edge seams so I could take 'em off for laundering.

Great minds, &c...

Dave in Michigan
    '21 T@G XL
    "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

• Options
    ZombiecatZombiecat Member Posts: 10

Those window shades are very nice! I made my own (two versions) and only for the two side windows, as I typically leave the front window closed when I’m away. The shades make a huge difference in keeping your trailer cooler, especially during the day, and provide a measure of privacy. I also made insulated inserts for the porthole windows and matching removable covers for the overhead storage bins.

"Improvement makes strait roads, but the crooked roads without Improvement, are roads of Genius."

• William Blake

2021 T@g XL Boondock

• Options

Ooo! I like that paisley pattern.

Dave in Michigan
    '21 T@G XL

• Options
    drsukiedrsukie Member Posts: 47

Nice! I like the cubby covers! How did you affix them to the cabinet facing?

Campers: Sue, Pippi, & ObiJuan TV: '23 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SE RWD EV... Playtoy: '20 T@G XL Boondock Edge... Home/THOW:1998 Fleetwood Bounder 32K

• Options
    ZombiecatZombiecat Member Posts: 10

Dritz ⅝” heavy duty snaps, which allows me to remove the covers if I need to wash or replace them. I used a small screw to mount the male half to the face of the cubby and the female half is on the cloth cover. The top and bottom of the cubby cover have elastic to make it easy to reach inside.

"Improvement makes strait roads, but the crooked roads without Improvement, are roads of Genius."

• William Blake

2021 T@g XL Boondock

• Options

And speaking of awnings, today I pulled the trigger on a Kelty Backroads shelter from REI; I took advantage of a today-only 20% off sale coupon, which knocked the shelter down to around $140 after taxes.

Membership has it's advantages.

Dave in Michigan
    '21 T@G XL