Options

T@G Cabinet Mod

SO I did this mod last year and posted it on a couple other sites. II realize the 2018 T@Gs have this mod already done, but figure I would post up my mod for those with 2017 or older T@Gs.

So I decided to modify the center cabinet where the TV is mounted in my T@G. I pulled the TV out of the mount and unhooked all the cables. Then I pulled the panel out by simply removing a couple screws. I made trim edge pieces to match the trim on the cabinet around the AC unit so my new cabinet door would somewhat match in style.

I attached the strips with glue and brads, and a couple screws on the hinge edge. I rabbeted the back edge of the trim pieces to inset the panel. I did have to trim the panel 3/4 inch in width to accommodate my trim. I then added 2 self-closing hinges to the left side. Yea..I know..the stain doesn't quite match.

I then added an inside bottom and back panel set against 1/2 inch square strips added inside the cabinet carcass to close in the cabinet.

The bottom and back panels are not attached in the photos, but I did secure them with small screws to make the panels removable so I can get to the outside marker light wiring for my next mod. The bottom panel is 3/8 in plywood, which I will cover with peel and stick vinyl tile, and the back is 1/4 inch oak plywood. I will also add some plastic wire loom to dress out the cables. I have also added a small pull knob on the outside and a magnetic catch to hold the door shut securely when towing.

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Nicely done, it is on my to do list!

And I now also found out out to install a hight stop light and maybe blinkers.

Thank you!

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Very nicely done! I'll put this on my list too. The stain looks good to me!

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

Getting ready to do this but was wondering how it affects the air flow around the air conditioner? Still okay?

• Options
    LightningdonLightningdon Member Posts: 110

There is still plenty of room around the cabinet for airflow. Keep in mind there are fans off to both sides in the plenum area, and 1 below the AC in the plenum. The cabinet back does not go all the way to the galley inner wall. It only goes back as far as the inside factory cabinets. There's probably 4 inches between the inner and galley wall. You can kinda see this area in this really bad photo. (sorry, this was taken trying to prep for my high mounted stop/ turn signal mod. cell phone phots when you can't get your eyes in the space!)