Options

Shore power-battery on?

Simple question, if tag plugged in should battery switch be on or off?

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636
    edited January 26

The battery switch should be “on” when towing and when plugged into shorepower for charging. For storage, fully charge the battery before turning it off.

Also, if you have electric brakes, the battery switch must be on to allow the emergency brake switch to activate in the event of a separation from the tow vehicle.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    The_RiggerThe_Rigger Member Posts: 115
    edited January 28

@Sharon_is_SAM said:
    The battery switch should be “on” when towing and when plugged into shorepower for charging. For storage, fully charge the battery before turning it off.

Also, if you have electric brakes, the battery switch must be on to allow the emergency brake switch to activate in the event of a separation from the tow vehicle.

I'm not sure that's totally accurate. On my T@G (a '21 model - other model years might be different), the charging wire coming from the tow vehicle via the 7-way plug leads directly to the battery, and not through the battery switch. Also, my trailer's brakes pull 12V power directly from the tow vehicle charge wire, and not from the battery. I have brakes and charging power regardless of whether the switch is off or on.

For charging the battery while on shore power, yes I agree; turn the switch ON. Frankly, I can't think of a reason to ever turn the switch off while in camp, unless you're doing some work on the 12V wiring.

For storage, I remove the battery from the trailer and put it on a smart charger in a climate-controlled (read: not freezing) location. YMMV, of course.

Dave in Michigan
    '21 T@G XL
    "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

• Options

@The_Rigger - how are your brakes powered without the 7 pin? With a complete separation of the TaG from the TV, the brakes use battery power.

• Options

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that my brakes aren't wired correctly. I mean, given what I've learned about the rest of the wiring...

Dave in Michigan
    '21 T@G XL
    "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

• Options

@The_Rigger - you posted about your battery switch before. It sounds like you do not have an isolation relay in your TV.

https://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/13168#Comment_13168

• Options

@Sharon_is_SAM - No, I don't. But that's not really germain, as the battery switch issues were happening when the camper was completely disconnected from the tow vehicle. You can't get any more isolated than that.

Dave in Michigan
    '21 T@G XL

• Options
    PrismtagPrismtag Member Posts: 32

Let me rephrase this question, it is a non-camping situation.

the tag is in the garage, I like to go work on mods, power is nice for lights.

i have it plugged into 110 for power, and usually leave it plugged in.

first question-is that ok?

second question-should switch be on or off? Thanks

• Options

There is an argument against keeping the unit plugged in continuously in that it creates wear and tear on the converter. However, many owners of TaBs and TaGs leave their units plugged in just as you. Once the battery is fully charged, turn off the battery switch. Depending on what kind of battery you have (regular lead acid vs AGM vs lithium), you will want to check it from time to time and recharge as necessary by turning the battery switch on.

So, yes, it is okay to leave it plugged in, but you should turn the battery switch off after it is fully charged.

• Options
    PrismtagPrismtag Member Posts: 32