Options

Total Newbie, Just bought a 2018 T@G XL

Jdig59Jdig59 Member Posts: 1

Been a backpacker and tent camper for years and have now gotten our first RV. Love the T@G design and features!! Questions I have are: 1). Can I take the unit off road with a 4WD truck and if so, what concerns might I have to pay attention to? 2). Any recommendations for auxiliary power for CPAP machine. Thanks in advance, getting excited for the first trip!

Comments

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632
    edited March 28

Welcome to T@G life.
    We have a 2018 standard 5' wide unit towed by a 4WD Toyota RAV4.
    We have taken our unit off road a number of times with not too many problems.
    It can get very dusty inside and everything is subject to opening. I use bungee cords to keep my cabinets closed. I have had the tracks on my NorCold refrigerator get jammed due to screws coming loose. Make sure your blinds are all the way down (open) and vent fan closed securely. Take things slow and all should go OK. I have had to disconnect one time to get unstuck and manually turned the unit around. Not a big deal. Mine will bounce a lot, even at slow speeds so one thing I learned is to pack the NorCold accordingly. I learned the hard way by 6 cans bouncing enough to crack holes in them. (what a waste of beer)
    I have found no issues with trailer ground clearance. I did raise up my tongue jack up by about an inch in an attempt to avoid having to dig a small hole when using the jack on uneven ground. I also have some 2x6 boards that I use to level from side to side as needed.
    As far as operating a CPAP, they can take a lot of power, so I would use at least a 100Ah lithium battery. I have read that you should be able to run your machine for 3 nights if not running anything else and you start with a fully charged battery.
    I do not use a CPAP, but have now a second 100Ah battery which I can easily link to my T@G to double my battery capacity.
    Best of luck.
    Use this Forum to search for answers to many of your questions. It has a lot of good information.

• Options
    DCN082162DCN082162 Member Posts: 26

As far taking the unit offroad, we have taken our non-boondock 5 wide offroad several times once for many miles in a rain storm on a muddy road. We got lucky on that one. In general the trailer is not equipped to be dragged over terrain that will bang into the floor. Our TV is a 4WD Tundra, we have gotten stuck once in deep sand, but I was a bonehead and did not turn off traction control. My plan for ours this year is a lift kit and maybe a hub swap to accommodate Jeep 15" Wheels, will probably have to think about fenders as well. So in summary use your head offroad and be aware that everything will get shaken up, you probably want to keep your vents closed to minimize dust on dirt roads.

• Options
    SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 133

My husband and I each have one of these for our CPAPs. We can go about four days on them. https://a.co/d/gCoDtvJ

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback