2019 Boondock XL 7.5 amp pump/fan fuse repeatedly blowing

rccanuckrccanuck Member Posts: 6
Hey folks, looking for any advice here...
We are repeatedly blowing the 7.5 amp fuse on the pump/fan circuit.  It seems to happen when the pump has back pressure because the tap isn't open fully.  If we open the tap all the way (or almost )no issues but if we open it just a bit - pop!

It is independent of whether the fans are on or not but the first time it happened seems to have killed the multiple speed switch on the roof vent - it only has one speed now. (I have ordered a replacement switch but wouldn't mind any tips on repairing the old one to keep as a spare.)

Back to the fuse - I've checked the pump filter, no debris.  We have only had the T@g a year so I have only winterized/dewinterized once and I'm wondering if I messed up something with the pump when putting it all back together this spring.

Any suggestions on what to look for?

Comments

• The_RiggerThe_Rigger Member Posts: 165
    edited June 16
    Sounds like the pump is saying bye-bye; something about the restricted water flow seems to be causing the pump to draw more amperage, which takes out your fuse. It may not be anything you did to it when you winterized; it might just be a cheap pump that's worn out before it's time.

As for the speed switch on the fan, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you have off and full speed, and you're missing one or both of the two slower speeds. I believe repairing that would involve replacing one or both of the resistors in the fan switch, depending on which of the speeds are working and/or not working.

Dave in Michigan
    '21 T@G XL
    "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

• rccanuckrccanuck Member Posts: 6
    edited June 18
    Thanks for the tips!  I stopped into the dealer yesterday and got a new pump.  The tech said to put a 15 amp fuse in though. Not sure that's a good idea.  I wonder if the old pump would be ok with the higher rated fuse.
  • arubinoarubino Member Posts: 12
    edited June 18
    the fuse is the sacrificial part, if you increase the fuse size, the wire and the downstream device could be damaged with a current spike, I would follow your dealer's recommendation, you can go back to them if there is a problem also.
    edited June 18
    I would certainly not put an oversize fuse in the panel unless I got it IN WRITING from the service tech that that was their recommended policy. The fuse is there to protect the wiring, and if you oversize it, then the wiring becomes the fuse… And also a fire hazard.

The manufacturer put a 7.5A fuse in the pump circuit for a reason.

Dave in Michigan
    '21 T@G XL
    "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

HThe_Rigger said:
    I would certainly not put an oversize fuse in the panel unless I got it IN WRITING from the service tech that that was their recommended policy. The fuse is there to protect the wiring, and if you oversize it, then the wiring becomes the fuse… And also a fire hazard.

The manufacturer put a 7.5A fuse in the pump circuit for a reason.

I feel the same about oversizing to 15amps.  The crazy thing is the pump manual specs a 10 amp fuse. I tried putting a 10amp in with the old pump and it didn't trip when i tried varying the water flow.
    We bought it used so who knows what the original fuse was from the factory.  The fuse is located in the cubby behind the tv and only has one other fuse in it.  There's nothing in the manual about it or a wiring diagram that I've been able to find.

So now i have a brand new $150 pump I may not need. :-(

Given that the pump manual says 10amp, I think I should be ok with leaving that one in there for now.

You might want to shoot an email to the tech boffins at nüCamp and double-check what fuse should be in there...  Maybe there's a reason we aren't aware of that they spec'ed a 7.5A fused circuit for a 10A pump. Their address is "help@nucamprv.com"

Dave in Michigan
    '21 T@G XL

• ragtag2ragtag2 Member Posts: 33
    Fuse panel from 2024 T@G Boondock.  #5 definitely specs 7.5A.... 

I happened to have removed my sink today and thought to myself that replacing the water pump would be significantly easier when the sink is removed...  (is yours attached with 4 screws and two "pigtails" and a drain?)

Yes, the pump has 4 screws and two pigtails.  The pump is a different make/model than yours though.  Since i took this picture I have reinstalled the filter in the correct orientation (cup down).

This thread seems to confirm 7.5 amp from the factory for 2019s:
    https://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/692/whats-the-box-behind-the-tv

But I will contact nüCamp directly for confirmation and share what I get back.
    Heard back from nüCamp:

"We did install 7.5 amp fuses for a while but have since switched back to a 10 amp fuse. We now recommend using a 10 amp fuse so you will have no issues with this size fuse."

Ok, so I guess I have a spare pump! still waiting on the fan switch to arrive, but in this heat, only having the full speed option is just fine! 

Thanks all for your comments/advice.

• GulfCoastGulfCoast Member Posts: 107
    @rccanuck, you might consider installing a PWM speed controller while you're tinkering with the fan. We enjoy being able to modulate the speed, and noise, of the fan rather than relying on the three speeds provided by the original setup. There are some good posts here on installing the PWM controller.
    definitely worth checking out, thanks @GulfCoast!