Curt Echo vs Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller

ragtag2ragtag2 Member Posts: 29
Does anyone have recent updates/experiences to add to past conversations on this topic (most seem to be several years old)?  I currently have the Echo and do not favor it because: 
1) there are twice as many connections to make in an environment that is kinda hostile to electrical connections.
2) the little doohickey is pretty easy to mis-place or for someone to just remove...

I have no idea whether the actual performance of the two units is similar. But I do like the idea of being able to easily apply the brakes (Prodigy) without having to open an app on my phone.

Please share your perspectives and experiences.

Comments

• evpeelingevpeeling Member Posts: 69
    I have the Tekonsha for the same reason, I don't want to have to deal with an app. Had it for about three years and it has worked great. I also rent out my camper and the Tekonsha is easier for that because I can just give people the plug in remote and they don't have to install an app. 

2020 Tag BD 5W, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, PA

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 647
    We loved our Tekonsha until it failed after 7 years.  We were out in Canyon de Chelly in Chinle, AZ  headed to Chaco Culture in New Mexico and it would not connect.  We wanted to replace it, however, it is not readily available unless you can order it and wait.  We ended up replacing it with Prodigy P3 and we are very happy with its operation.  Being able to plug and play with a readily available replacement was not something we considered when we chose the RF version.  

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• ragtag2ragtag2 Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for the replacement/availability reality check!  Important reminder to not take e-Trailer and Amazon for granted as omnipresent when in the more beautiful/rural parts of the country. 

Yep, Canyon de Chelly is definitely on the short list for visiting in the next 3-5 years of retirement!
  • GulfCoastGulfCoast Member Posts: 105
    Another good option is the Autowbrake controller. It's installed on the trailer and needs no components mounted in the tow vehicle. It can be powered from the trailer lights if you don't have a dedicated brake wire from the tow vehicle. There's a small fob for adjusting and manually activating the brakes. We've been very happy with it.
  • The_RiggerThe_Rigger Member Posts: 163
    I've got the Hopkins Insight controller. I like it a lot; works very well and not very obtrusive at all in the driver's compartment. 

Dave in Michigan
    '21 T@G XL
    "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

• ragtag2ragtag2 Member Posts: 29
    Thanks All for your thoughtful insights and input here. We recently did the drive/commute from Seattle to the Adirondacks and had an absolute blast in the western part of the country. The Curt Echo must have worked "just fine." 

We thoroughly appreciated the shore power and air-conditioning in the 100+ degrees of Eastern WA, and Kelty Backroads "living room" in the thunderstorms of NB.