New Renogy 100-Watt Solar Suitcase

JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 655
edited October 12 in Battery/Electrical & Solar

Decided to get a second Renogy 100-watt solar panel suitcase.
I needed another panel which I would feel comfortable leaving outside at my home for prolonged periods as well as taking camping in the desert.
My EcoFlow 220-watt bifacial panel provides better performance than my suitcase panels, but costs $200 more and I do not believe the Ecoflow would stand up as well in the continuous hot summer climate where I live.
Bought the Renogy 100-watt solar suitcase panel with Voyager MPPT controller direct from Renogy with free shipping for $149.
The new and old version are essentially the same, being two tempered glass 50-watt panels mounted on an aluminum frame, connected in parallel, totaling 100-watts. If one of the two panels is shaded, the output wattage will decrease by one half. 
There is a minor difference between the old suitcase panel and new.
The new panel is slightly smaller Folded - NEW 21.7x20.9x2.8 vs OLD 19.9x27.2x2.8 
Weight is also decreased - NEW 21.2 lbs. vs OLD 25.6 lbs.
An important difference with wiring of the new panel is it now has MC4 connectors on the input side.
This allows easier ability to expand with another panel. I had to install connectors on my older solar suitcase.
The solar controller is upgraded accepting larger terminal wire size (20-6 AWG) and maximum battery voltages (32V).
   TESTING:
My testing indicated that 77-watts can easily be achieved with the new suitcase.
My testing was performed on hot turf (141-150 degrees) with the panels reaching 145.4 degrees and the controller mounted on the back reaching 113.4 degrees. 
My test used a 100 Amp hour lithium battery starting at 96% (11:10AM), which reached 100% in 34 minutes (11:44AM).
I ran my test until 2:00PM, with no appreciable change in condition (5.9A and 13.5V).
My experience with my older Renogy solar suitcase has been positive. Usage has been in many harsh environments, heavy wind, hot desert temperatures and rain without issues.
Both new and old solar suitcases come with a carrying case which can take some abuse.
I normally transport in my tow vehicle behind the passenger seat.
Real life camping usage will be in about a week.
Overall, I am pleased with my purchase and would recommend. 

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 651
    We have found Renogy suitcase panels to be a solid purchase.  We have both the Eclipse 100 watt and the older Monocrystalline 100 watt suitcases.  200 watts really enhances the charging speed and the divided suitcases are much easier to manage compared to a heavy, single 200 watt panel.  Can you connect both suitcases to your new MPPT controller?

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 655

Both of my Renogy solar suitcase panels can be connected in parallel to either Voyager MPPT controllers. (Each panel has a controller, so I would just disconnect one controller and use a MC4 splitter/branch connector).
    I can also hook up both in series or parallel and run them through my Victron PWM controller, which is part of my self-made power station.
    I could also run both solar suitcases independently and connect them together with a SAE Y-splitter connector to my T@G or power station battery. (may need reverse polarity adapter)
    Camping is the endgame.
    Having flexibility and redundancy along with some cable adapters can make camping more worry free.