Options

Assist Handles

I would like to look into the possibility of adding a set of handles or even a hanging rope, or a bar inside my T@G for the purpose of helping one maneuver or slide around while inside the sleeping area.

I'm thinking of how nearly all cars have that grab handle above the door(s) and as we get a little older, they are very handy,

I realize that the walls and probably the roof of the T@G are both made of some very light material. However, is there an aluminum piece of framing or structure around the doors or midway in the roof (say on either side of the vent) that might make this possible? Just a question.

There are some great ideas and helps on this forum. Thank you.

Nathan B

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

All allong the celling edge and top of the wall, you have an aluminium tube. I did used self tapping screws to install clothes hook in the top if the walls ecah side, between the door and window. The roof is almost made like an aluminium ladder. I do not know the distance, but with a studd finder, you should find where the crossmembers are.

I will try to find the small vid that was sent to me by nucamp. But could not find anything about the wall construction. They told me they are built the same way, but could not find anything on line and they told me they are not built in house.

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

But will tapping into aluminum be able to hold much weight?

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    nbrandtnbrandt Member Posts: 31

Thank you for that video clip. I agree with Bill in that I don't see how it could bear much weight. It was perhaps a "pie-in-the-sky" question to begin with - but at least I got to see some framing in the roof.
    The better answer to this might be to lose a little more weight, keep limber, do some more stretching exercises - you know, all of those things. :)

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

I am very proficient at all of those exercises (at least when I am sleeping anyway) =)B):o

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@BBsGarage said:
    But will tapping into aluminum be able to hold much weight?

They use that rib cage to hold the yakima rack that they say can support 100 pbs, but can hold the items in a regular driving speed wind, witch represnt way more than a 100 pds in weight.

To vi is to show how they are built, and perso, I would use the top wall structure. And unless you plan on doing full body weight lifting exercise with one hand, I think you just need a helper handle. So I see no issues.

The same type of handle in cars also use metal screws in much thiner metal.

And my understanding of the wall structure (with a stud finder) is that there is a bow in the wall that follow the roof line, with dooble the aluminium box tube.