Options

Dealing with flammables

WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Hi all,
I've been looking at various containers on the web for carrying my generator fuel and it got me thinking that we could probably all benefit from the techniques others have come up with for managing combustibles. I'm talking gas, propane, charcoal starter, gin or whatever else falls into the category. I've decided to get a "Rotopax" can for my fuel. What about you guys? How do you haul and store your flams?

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2017 T@G XL
Boyceville, Wi.

Comments

• Options
    HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140

2.5 gal jerry can for gennie fuel carried in the TV. These cans are over built I'd say and have never leaked fumes or gas...even when on their side. Pricey, but worth it for the peace of mind.

I also have some 5 gallon genuine NATO jerry cans from CampinMaxx.com, but they are too heavy for me when full...these are for generator fuel at home.

2014 T@G

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Well, for fuel, If I need any for long backroad travel, I use plastic Septer Nato 20 l cans. Thaty might not be carb compliante, but they are sturdy as a safe can be and more than any other carb style cans.

Propane, still have the standard 20obs in original location with bolt and wing nut securing it in place. Might go with a 5lbs later, but will be in same location and adapted ancor point.

As far a fluid starter, I use the solid type or candle wax cardboard soak pieces.

Boose, in my TV between front seats. (Just kidding), they are if wrangle is the TV, in rear drawer storage system, in Nissan X-trail, also rear storage, but saffely tucked.

• Options
    CampHubCampHub Member Posts: 113
    edited April 2018

So we tend to do trips with the JK a little further off the trail then I would feel comfortable taking the Tag. Maze district of Canyonlands is one example. As such we went with the AEV fuel caddy.
    Not cheap! But a very elegant solution for 10 gallons of fuel without lifting it. AEV is kind enough to include a shake siphon, it's easy enough to crimp the plastic fuel line to refill the gen. I have friends with the rotopax solution and it does a great job.

Like LuckyJ I too have the original propane solution.

Matchlight charcoal!

For the finer bottles of single malt neoprene wine totes tightly packed under the sink. Otherwise, boxed wine less the cardboard in the cooler!

All the calculations show it can’t work. There’s only one thing to do: make it work.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517
    edited May 2018

Excellent discussion! I've seen others use the rotopax too and the gerry cans. The only flammable I carry are one pound propane canisters. My 200 watt Zamp portable panel is a beast and gives me plenty of power to spare.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    Scotty49Scotty49 Member Posts: 23

I use a Rotopax 1 gallon as a gerry can as a back up if I need to charge the battery. Used backing plates to install the holders.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Scotty,
    I finally decided to go with the Rotopax too and ordered up a 1 gallon can with bolt-on mount. The mount I got has the barrel lock so I have a bit of peace of mind. Got it mounted this morning: I think I really like it! It adds 7 lbs of weight, so about 4 lbs of additional tongue weight, but nevertheless, I wanted it there. I thought about putting it behind the axle but decided that if I want to move it, I can do so. In the event I decide to move it behind the axle, I'll build a mount that goes either to the frame or floor. Rotopax actually has a pre-bent mount that would allow putting it on the outside of the side wall behind the axle without having to drill holes in the body side. Goodness knows, I am no Marvin Milktoast when it comes to drilling holes, nevertheless I want to do "due-diligence" and not drill any holes in the body if there is an alternative. I'll roll this for a bit and see how it works where it is. I added a 3/4" angle aluminum stiffener on the inside to reduce stress and bouncing....

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

It should be fine there.