Options

Which 7 pin is it?

The 2017 TAG manual has this.

But there are a number of references that show the top two reversed with the charging line on the right looking at the vehicle side plug.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

Are you having some issues with your harness?

I've seen varying examples on the Internet but don't see an issue with the example shown as it works and their wiring schematic is consistent with what I'd out there. Am I missing something here and do I need more coffee? :o=)

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

I always need more coffee. I haven't noticed an issue (please refer to my coffee statement) but my +12 is on the upper right and Im not 100% certain the battery was charging while attached to the car. But wired that way I would think that the lights would light up without the vehicles light switch turned on and I really didn't notice that. I will be checking that out tonight to be sure.

Bill

• Options

Either somebody has switched my coffee with decaf or I need to go to harder stuff!

I plugged the camper into the car and everything worked as expected. lights came on with the vehicle lights. all 12v appliances worked with only the car power, camper battery is not installed, no shore power. I double checked the 7pin on the car and it is the upper right pin that is +12v when the car is switched on. upper left only has 12v when lights are switched on.

This goes against the diagram that is in the manual.

color me confused.

Bill

• Options

One way to confirm charging to the battery is by plugging a 12 volt DC LED (cigarette style plug) volt meter into the receptacle inside the trailer. Check the voltage with the trailer unhooked from the tow vehicle. Hook up the trailer to the tow vehicle, check and record the voltage. Start the vehicle up and once again, check and record the voltage. The voltage reading should increase to between 13.5-14+ volts DC inside the trailer when the vehicles alternator is providing a charge back to the trailer. And after charging the trailer in this manner for a while, turn the vehicle off, unhook from the tow vehicle and then measure and record the voltage again. You should be able to see that the voltage has increased some, but that it is dropping back down to 12+ volts as the voltage settles across the battery plates.

I haven't taken any time to check my wiring as a result of your post, but as long as the wiring corresponds to the color code shown above things should work fine. It may very well be a misprint, but the color code noted for each wire should result in it being electrically correct.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    edited May 2018

I believe that the "blank" port shown in the diagram is for a dedicated charge line back to the trailer from the vehicles battery. This line should be fused at the vehicle battery. If the dedicated charge line wasn't installed, the voltage reads and process I noted above will indicate whether or not you do have a dedicated line installed on your vehicle. I found this out on another vehicle I owned and had to install this line myself! :o

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

Well I installed it all myself, for the charge line I used a solenoid and circuit breaker and ran the wire back and attached it to the Aux power lead which is the +12v terminal I have been speaking about. Everything about the center terminal I have seen references backup lights.
    This is one of those times that the internet is confusing things.

Bill

• Options

But the system is working and things are charging up as anticipated???

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

Not sure if it is charging, I haven't put the battery back in yet.
    But everything else is working as expected.

Bill

• Options
    Otis_60Otis_60 Member Posts: 37

Am I missing something here. The pictures above are mirror images of each other as they should be. When you turn the trailer plug away from your face (quit staring at it) to plug it in, all the pins line up. Is this the confusion??

Thanks,
    Greg
    2017 Little Guy XL MAX Outback Ed.
    1st TV 2015 MB GL450
    2nd TV 2016 Mazda CX-5
    3rd TV 1999 Ford F350 7.3l diesel

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@Otis_60 said:
    Am I missing something here. The pictures above are mirror images of each other as they should be. When you turn the trailer plug away from your face (quit staring at it) to plug it in, all the pins line up. Is this the confusion??

Yep, they are mirror.

And it could be what bring the confusion. It got me once. Never again! ;)

• Options
    Otis_60Otis_60 Member Posts: 37
    edited May 2018

I think I just figured out the problem Bill is having. The picture at the beginning of this thread is mislabeled. The one labeled Vehicle Side (unless NuCamp wires their trailers the mirror image opposite of the rest of the industry) should be labeled Trailer Side and the same for the other one.

Every website I go to shows the opposite of the picture above. Every one of them shows Power at the 1 o'clock pin and Common at the 7 o'clock pin for the tow vehicle.

Thanks,
    Greg
    2017 Little Guy XL MAX Outback Ed.
    1st TV 2015 MB GL450
    2nd TV 2016 Mazda CX-5
    3rd TV 1999 Ford F350 7.3l diesel

• Options

@Otis_60 said:
    I think I just figured out the problem Bill is having. The picture at the beginning of this thread is mislabeled. The one labeled Vehicle Side (unless NuCamp wires their trailers the mirror image opposite of the rest of the industry) should be labeled Trailer Side and the same for the other one.

Every website I go to shows the opposite of the picture above. Every one of them shows Power at the 1 o'clock pin and Common at the 7 o'clock pin for the tow vehicle.

Yes! and I have confirmed that the +12v power on the connector on my vehicle is at the 1 o'clock position.

Bill